Question CPU or BIOS issue?

Feb 1, 2023
my pc started rebooting randomly, checking the error codes it is mentioning genuinineIntel.sys issue, and investigating further, it is saying boot error, one day it did not even want to boot, when I entered the bios I was surprised with the CPU frequency at 8340Mhz which is an unrealistic number! what could be wrong .

Syetem full specs:

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte z690 ud ddr4 (F6 version just updated to F7)
CPU : i5 12600KF
RAM: x2 8GB XLR8
GPU: RTX 3080
PSU: MSI MPG A650GF (650watts)

Feb 1, 2023
my pc started rebooting randomly, checking the error codes it is mentioning genuinineIntel.sys issue, and investigating further, it is saying boot error, one day it did not even want to boot, when I entered the bios I was surprised with the CPU frequency at 8340Mhz which is an unrealistic number! what could be wrong .

the CPU is: i5 12600KF
motherboard: Gigabyte z690 ud ddr4
What SSD do you have? Have you tried disabling fast boot ?
Also in CPU-Z - what frequencies to you get?

SSD: teamgroup cx2 500GB
I tried disabling turbo speed in the bios, and the machine booted without issues, but not sure if it will be stable since the reboot happens randomly.
in CPU-Z my frequencies are normal, running at 4.2-4.5Ghz (with intel turbo speed on) when disabling the turbo speed I get frequencies in the 3.6Ghz maximum.
the CPU temperature was 24 degrees when I saw the 8400mhz in the bios, it is probably just a misreading from the bios, or the CPU reporting wrong frequencies. Not sure what the issue is though, could it be the bios needing and update, falty CPU? I'm so confused.

I might suspect that your psu is inadequate for a 3080 card:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Past the minimum or average wattage usage, the 3000 series cards can have very high instant peak demands that a 650w psu can not handle.

On the frequency, I have seen similar peaks when running HWmonitor.
I think that is just an error in calculation and not reflective of any sort of clock gone wild.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Feb 1, 2023
I might suspect that your psu is inadequate for a 3080 card:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Past the minimum or average wattage usage, the 3000 series cards can have very high instant peak demands that a 650w psu can not handle.

On the frequency, I have seen similar peaks when running HWmonitor.
I think that is just an error in calculation and not reflective of any sort of clock gone wild.

I also was looking at the PSU, and was thinking it might be the issue, but it is 80+ gold, and my computer was pretty stable before, with the RTX3080 and using some high workflows like 3D rendering, and gaming. But then all of the sudden, it started doing this. The other thing that made me thinking it is not PSU related is the fact that it did it on the booting of the machine. so the GPU is almost doing nothing at that point, when I go to the bios, the pc is stable there, but it is not making it to windows, it is not booting. in the bios it does not reboot or shuts down. could it be a bios version? I am now thinking maybe the bios needs an update?

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I also was looking at the PSU, and was thinking it might be the issue, but it is 80+ gold, and my computer was pretty stable before, with the RTX3080 and using some high workflows like 3D rendering, and gaming. But then all of the sudden, it started doing this. The other thing that made me thinking it is not PSU related is the fact that it did it on the booting of the machine. so the GPU is almost doing nothing at that point, when I go to the bios, the pc is stable there, but it is not making it to windows, it is not booting. in the bios it does not reboot or shuts down. could it be a bios version? I am now thinking maybe the bios needs an update?
The efficiency tells you how well it converts 110 to necessary voltages, it has NOTHING to do with the overall output.
Point blank, a 650 watt psu is not adequate for this system.
750 minimum, 850 preferable, 1000 to allow for future upgrades.
This doesn't discount other potential problems, btw.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Feb 1, 2023
The efficiency tells you how well it converts 110 to necessary voltages, it has NOTHING to do with the overall output.
Point blank, a 650 watt psu is not adequate for this system.
750 minimum, 850 preferable, 1000 to allow for future upgrades.
This doesn't discount other potential problems, btw.

It would be bad to upgrade the PSU, while it might not be the one causing the issue, before upgrading my GPU, I have seen a lot of threads of people running their PCs with an rtx 3080 and even an i7 12th gen, with a 650watt psu that's why I have not upgraded my PSU. There is a good change the PSU has nothing to do with this since the pc sometimes cannot even make it to windows reboots at the bios level while there is little to no activity on the PSU side.

Feb 1, 2023
I updated the bios to F7 and currently testing, I do not want to update to the latest bios since I never know how stable is it, plus it is more towards the new 13th gen processors so I kept it away.
I do not usually recommend updating a bios on speculation if all is running well.
Only if the update contains a fix for an issue that impacts you.

I do think that updating the Intel VMD code would be a good idea regardless.
There may be a bug that is causing your reboots.

Updated bios levels may also incorporate fixes that are not in the documentation.

It would be bad to upgrade the PSU, while it might not be the one causing the issue, before upgrading my GPU, I have seen a lot of threads of people running their PCs with an rtx 3080 and even an i7 12th gen, with a 650watt psu that's why I have not upgraded my PSU. There is a good change the PSU has nothing to do with this since the pc sometimes cannot even make it to windows reboots at the bios level while there is little to no activity on the PSU side.
Recommended PSU for an RTX3080 is 750w min. As @geofelt mentioned, RTX are prone to high transient power spikes. You're current PSU, although Gold rated (which is more about efficiency than components). It's the components of lesser PSU that cause the restarts. The spikes just trip the overprotections on the PSU.

As others have said, I'd be more comfortable with a Corsair RM850x as they are well known to handle the power spikes well.

Feb 1, 2023
I do not usually recommend updating a bios on speculation if all is running well.
Only if the update contains a fix for an issue that impacts you.

I do think that updating the Intel VMD code would be a good idea regardless.
There may be a bug that is causing your reboots.

Updated bios levels may also incorporate fixes that are not in the documentation.

The intel VMD is showing that needs to bz updated for the 13th gen processors, but I'm using a 12th gen processors, would updating it cause an issue for my current CPU?

Feb 1, 2023
Recommended PSU for an RTX3080 is 750w min. As @geofelt mentioned, RTX are prone to high transient power spikes. You're current PSU, although Gold rated (which is more about efficiency than components). It's the components of lesser PSU that cause the restarts. The spikes just trip the overprotections on the PSU.

As others have said, I'd be more comfortable with a Corsair RM850x as they are well known to handle the power spikes well.

But does the RTX spike while booting the PC not during heavy load? Because I used some heavy loads on my desktop pc before running 3D renderings without issues. But while starting the PC the GPU fans are off, so wondering if it would spike not under load? And while leaving the bios open, the pc is stable and no random reboots? won't the GPU spike at bios?

But does the RTX spike while booting the PC not during heavy load? Because I used some heavy loads on my desktop pc before running 3D renderings without issues. But while starting the PC the GPU fans are off, so wondering if it would spike not under load? And while leaving the bios open, the pc is stable and no random reboots? won't the GPU spike at bios?

Typically the power spikes happen when switching from a relatively low load to high, but I wouldn't put boot up sequence as either. The power spikes go from normal/average to very high load. This might happen in gaming for example where the load on the GPU varies between game menus, actual gameplay, and maybe very GPU intensive games.

Feb 1, 2023
Typically the power spikes happen when switching from a relatively low load to high, but I wouldn't put boot up sequence as either. The power spikes go from normal/average to very high load. This might happen in gaming for example where the load on the GPU varies between game menus, actual gameplay, and maybe very GPU intensive games.

Exactly! My pc won't even boot, so I do not think that booting has to do with the power spikes of the GPU, that is why I'm not really sure about the PSU causing my issue here