Question CPU or GPU bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilemilov01

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2015
Hello !
Several days ago I asked in the forum what do you think about my prebuild.With your help I decided what components to buy.
But now I have another question.
Do you think i5 13400F will bottlenck RTX 4070?Or do you think that maybe RTX 4070 will bottleneck i5 13400F ?
I will use them for gaming on 1080p (all kinds of games).
The RAM that I plan to buy is Kingston FURY 2x16 GB 3200MHz.
Thank you !

Jun 2, 2023
Hello !
Several days ago I asked in the forum what do you think about my prebuild.With your help I decided what components to buy.
But now I have another question.
Do you think i5 13400F will bottlenck RTX 4070?Or do you think that maybe RTX 4070 will bottleneck i5 13400F ?
I will use them for gaming on 1080p (all kinds of games).
The RAM that I plan to buy is Kingston FURY 2x16 GB 3200MHz.
Thank you !

A CPU bottleneck occurs when the central processing unit (CPU) is operating at capacity and is unable to keep up with the demands of the graphics card (GPU). This can cause a variety of problems, including low frame rates, stuttering, and crashes. A GPU bottleneck occurs when the GPU is operating at capacity and is unable to keep up with the demands of the CPU.

Reactions: emilemilov01
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

You ask a legitimate question, namely is a 13400 processor a decent match for a RTX4070 graphics card?
Not knowing what kinds of games you play and at what resolution, I would say that is a good combination.

Hey there,

As the other posters have said, the term 'bottlenecking' is often misunderstood.

Your choices are very well suited. A good balance. The CPU sends pre rendered frames to the GPU. The GPU takes that data and renders the details on screen. Sometimes the CPU is waiting on the GPU, and other times the GPU is waiting on the CPU. That effect is limited by your choices. Enjoy the nice FPS. What res are you gaming?

emilemilov01

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2015
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

You ask a legitimate question, namely is a 13400 processor a decent match for a RTX4070 graphics card?
Not knowing what kinds of games you play and at what resolution, I would say that is a good combination.
My resolution is 1920x1080 75 Hz.
I play all kinds of games,without competitive shooters like Valorant,Apex Legends,PUBG.
Hey there,

As the other posters have said, the term 'bottlenecking' is often misunderstood.

Your choices are very well suited. A good balance. The CPU sends pre rendered frames to the GPU. The GPU takes that data and renders the details on screen. Sometimes the CPU is waiting on the GPU, and other times the GPU is waiting on the CPU. That effect is limited by your choices. Enjoy the nice FPS. What res are you gaming?
1920x1080 75Hz

Unless you're running V-Sync, the display is not a factor. The GPU is going to work as fast as the CPU can feed it, regardless of what the monitor is doing.

In addition, there's a feature called DSR on NVIDIA and VSR on AMD.

Looking at newegg and filtering, I do not see any 21.5" monitors that have higher than 1080P resolution let alone 75hz.
Is your size requirement based on some sort of desktop space restriction?
Perhaps a 27" monitor mounted vertically would be the same width as a 21.5" monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS