Cpu or gpu upgrade

xjacksssss

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014
Hi all

I'm currently running a fx-8350 with a gigabyte R9 270x 4gb. I'm wondering which of these I should upgrade first? As I think it is time for an upgrade.

Thanks

Solution
Well, you can start with that 1070 (or even higher) as you can use it later if you go to new build. There will be some bottleneck by processor but things should be better anyway although not as much as with better processor. Things may improve slightly if you can OC processor.
At 4.5 - 4.6GHz and 1070 it would give you some time to collect for new build but you'd need a good cooler for it which also could be used for new build.
Tough call. Those are pretty evenly matched but CPU means changing a lot more. CPU + MB + RAM at least. If you feel a need for better GPU that means it's for games mostly and on type of games depends what is more important, CPU or GPU.
What GPU were you thinking about ? Because of that you may need better PSU too.
Almost whatever you choose to change will be bottle-necked by other one.

Well, you can start with that 1070 (or even higher) as you can use it later if you go to new build. There will be some bottleneck by processor but things should be better anyway although not as much as with better processor. Things may improve slightly if you can OC processor.
At 4.5 - 4.6GHz and 1070 it would give you some time to collect for new build but you'd need a good cooler for it which also could be used for new build.

Solution

xjacksssss

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014
Thanks Mike. I would be tempted to just go full out and build a new PC because I know my motherboard is a bit dodgy and cheap. Plus I just want an excuse to build a new balls to the wall pc

TRENDING THREADS