[SOLVED] CPU or Motherboard Dead?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 24, 2020
I bought a Gaming Computer from a friend that broke on him and I have been trying to fix. When you turn it on it will light up fans will go and only start for a second then shut down. Sometimes it will start up but if it has been turned off for a few hours it goes back to not starting again. I've swapped out the RAM, SSD, Graphics Card and Power Supply to test and have had the same issue. I brought it to a PC repair shop and they told me the issue was the Motherboard. I got a used motherboard online and rebuilt the machine. Got the same exact thing with it only starting for a second then turning off. Could it be my CPU at this point?

CPU-i7-4790K
Motherboard - Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 or Gigabyte Z97X UD5H
PSU- AX860
Graphics card- Geforce GTX 1080 PCI express 3.0
SSD- 960 EVO Sata 6 Gb/S
Ram- 2X Vengeance Pro DDR3 2X4
CPU cooler- Bequiet Rock Pro 4

Solution
The paper clip test really doesn't test the PSU. It just allows it to power on.

If I were a betting man, I would say the PSU is the issue. You are describing a power issue in many ways.
Feb 24, 2020
What common devices have you had installed into both motherboards?
[/
The power supply would be the only thing. I changed the cables and the cpu. I was told by my pc shop and my friend that they had tried a different power supply and had the same issue. I also shorted the power supply with a paper clip to see if the fan was running and it was. I even took it out of the case and ran it on a piece of cardboard to see if the case was shorting it.

Feb 24, 2020
That's what I was thinking but after these people told me they tested it and had the same problem I was going by them. Guess I will test it somehow.