[SOLVED] CPU or motherboard?

Aug 9, 2020
My computer was running and it shut off. It smelled like something was burning. I tried to turn it on but nothing worked. I tried a new power supply, still nothing works. How do I tell if it's the motherboard or the processor?

Solution
Thank you. I looked at the motherboard nothing looks damaged.

You would need to probably remove the GPU, CPU and motherboard to try and identify any breaks or obvious damages. I had a similar issue last year and I replaced the PSU and my computer still randomly powered down. I looked at the motherboard and it didn't appear damaged however on closer inspection, some of the pins near the CPU slot were bent and this was causing the power outs.

Use a magnifying glass if you have to since they can be very difficult to see unless you're really giving it a good look. If it's definitely not the motherboard it's either gpu/cpu.
Its doubtful the CPU went bad, the PSU is the usually culprit but since replaced it then most likely it was the motherboard, graphics card or other component.

The only way to tell would be to look around the various parts of the circuit board as well as the traces (those are the lines on a circuit board) and look for discoloration. You could also move your nose around, you should be able to smell burned electronics.

Reactions: alpezzella
Aug 9, 2020
Its doubtful the CPU went bad, the PSU is the usually culprit but since replaced it then most likely it was the motherboard, graphics card or other component.

The only way to tell would be to look around the various parts of the circuit board as well as the traces (those are the lines on a circuit board) and look for discoloration. You could also move your nose around, you should be able to smell burned electronics.

L95T

Reputable
Apr 18, 2019

You would need to probably remove the GPU, CPU and motherboard to try and identify any breaks or obvious damages. I had a similar issue last year and I replaced the PSU and my computer still randomly powered down. I looked at the motherboard and it didn't appear damaged however on closer inspection, some of the pins near the CPU slot were bent and this was causing the power outs.

Use a magnifying glass if you have to since they can be very difficult to see unless you're really giving it a good look. If it's definitely not the motherboard it's either gpu/cpu.

Solution