Cpu over heating for no reason

rockraven500

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I've got a brand new i7-3770K, stock heat sink. Now up until an hour ago, i could run fine, running borderlands 2 off an evga 680 across surround landscape in addition to an extra monitor. Now whenever I run borderlands 2 for 2 minutes my computer just restarts, the only change i can think of is moving extra monitor's position to portrait. I've tried running my extra monitor in landscape again, and it still crashes

Have you run any temp monitoring programs? You need to monitor CPU and GPU temps. HW Monitor is a good one.

rockraven500

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Yes I'm running nvidia's temp monitor as well as core temp, gpu's up at 70 and cpu core's run at about 40-50 on the main menu of the game. These tempuratures seem fine, what else could it be?

open your case and make sure all the wires are connected properly on everything from the motherboard to the hdds.

go into bios and load optimized defaults. making sure your memory timings are correct and the correct volts are applied.
load up coretem and hwmonitor
then run prime 95's blend test.

rockraven500

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Running the blend test now, it's topping out at about 80 with no issue, i assume that rules out cpu overheating, so what else can i try?

it rules out overheating but not stability... run it for 5-6 cycles for a short burst 4-12 hours for long and 24 for absolute stability testing.
for now a 5-6 cycle will do.
get an app called hyperpi. run the 32m test on all cores if it locks up it means its likely you have a memory stability problem.
you will need a dump stick(usb drive) and install a bootable version of memtest to test properly.

also try juggling the monitor wires see if that causes an off. changing the aspect ratio of the screen shouldnt normally cause an off so unless a wire is broken or loos i cant see that being the issue.

rockraven500

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

ran hyperpi and memtest with no issue, anything else?