[SOLVED] CPU over temp error (Blue Screen)

Jul 28, 2021
Hello, I have an ASUS Prime Z490-P, Intel core i7-10700K CPU @3.80GHz Speed:3800MHz Memory: 32768MB (DDR4-2133). I have had this PC for about a year and a half now and just recently I Have been getting the blue screen and then it turns off on me. I then get loaded in to a screen that says my system information and an error at the bottom saying "CPU Over Temperature Error!" It first happened yesterday when playing a game "Escape from Tarkov" and I thought nothing of it as I loaded back in and it did not happen again. Well today I noticed my PC running a little more harder, as in the fans. I could hear the fans more loud than normal. I was playing a game "Albion Online" which I wouldn't think is a very intense game on my PC, because its not. I got the Blue screen and then the same error saying "CPU Over Temperature Error!" I have an application called "quick CPU" and I noticed the "Enabled Cores" was only 4 and 12 Parked Cores. There was a sliding bar called "Core parking Index" which was set at 0% so I slid it to 100% and now it says I have 16 Enabled cores and 0 Parked cores. I thought that fixed the issue but when I went to go try and see if my work would be okay, I opened about 10 Chrome Tabs (I work from home so Chrome is what I must use) and got the same blue screen and same over temp error again. On the application "Quick CPU" I can see the temp and it will idle around 40-60 Celsius but when I open my work chrome tabs, it jumps to 80-90 Celsius and eventually shut off, giving me the blue screen and then the error. I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I need to replace the AIO cooler or what. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!!

Solution
could the RAM have anything to do with it? Did I pick the wrong MHz
3600MHz vs 3200MHz with an Intel processor makes little difference.
If you have another use for the 3200MHz set, go ahead and keep the 3600MHz though.

RAM speed has absolutely nothing to do with CPU temperature.
CPU Over Temperature Error!
this is all about the lack of cool airflow through the case,
the possible performance of the CPU cooler & it's fans,
and the voltage & clock speed of the CPU.

use HWinfo to watch actual CPU temps while going about your normal computing routine.
report what temperatures you see while idling, while normal browsing, and while doing your work related tasks.
Jul 28, 2021
what cooler, what case, what fans, how are the fans arranged, how is your fan curve setup?

and include the entire system specs when searching for help regarding a particular system.
what cooler, what case, what fans, how are the fans arranged, how is your fan curve setup?

and include the entire system specs when searching for help regarding a particular system.

I purchased it as a prebuilt from ibuypower. The case is a lian li lancool one rgb. The fans are ibuy power branded and they are set up with the aio in the front wit two fans connected to it pulling in. Two fans mounted on the top pulling out of the case I believe and one fan at the back as an exhaust as well. The fans are set to turbo according to the bios.

Jul 28, 2021
so you don't know the power supply, drives, make\model of memory, make\model of CPU cooler, etc?
and no dedicated GPU was included?

if you haven't altered the cooling setup and you are hitting ~60°C while idling and ~90°C while just browsing i would return the entire system for a refund ASAP.

I found the details in the order summary.

ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-10700KF Processor (8x 3.80 GHz /16MB L3 Cache)

Processor CoolingiBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black
Memory16GB [8GB x 2] DDR4-3200Hz G.SKILL Ripjaws V
Video CardGeForce RTX 2060 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
Storage500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD + 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD

MotherboardASUS PRIME Z490-P
Power Supply600 Watt - Thermaltake 80 PLUS Gold
Internal Wireless NetworkPCIe Wireless Network
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home

I have since upgraded the RAM and I added Corsair Vengeance pro DDR4 2x16GB 3600MHz as well as added more storage. I used SAMSUNG 980 M.2. Forgive me, I'm very new to all of this.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021
I can't as I use it for work as well. I cannot be without a computer. Would you recommend swapping the AIO? Or could the RAM have anything to do with it? Did I pick the wrong MHz on the ram?

could the RAM have anything to do with it? Did I pick the wrong MHz
If you have another use for the 3200MHz set, go ahead and keep the 3600MHz though.

CPU Over Temperature Error!

use HWinfo to watch actual CPU temps while going about your normal computing routine.
report what temperatures you see while idling, while normal browsing, and while doing your work related tasks.

Solution
Jul 28, 2021

What I did today was go into the bios and the ram setting was on auto, I changed it to 3600MHz and tried to post and it would only post in safe mode and kept turning off. I went into the bios again and turned the RAM back to auto and it was able to boot back up successfully. I then loaded my work tabs on chrome and the temp stayed around 40-55 Celsius. I am now only having the issue when I try to play a game. I notice when I play Albion Online, it jumps up in temp to around 80-90 Celsius.

if your 3600MHz RAM is set to "auto" than you have no use for it.
it will be stuck at ~2666MHz without it's XMP profile enabled.
just return it and continue using the previous 3200Mhz set.

40-55°C is pretty high while just browsing with Chrome's multiple tabs open.
80-90°C while doing any task like gaming is unacceptable.

currently with Firefox and 9 tabs open i am still sitting ~32°C
while gaming i never pass 65°C.

Jul 28, 2021
if your 3600MHz RAM is set to "auto" than you have no use for it.
it will be stuck at ~2666MHz without it's XMP profile enabled.
just return it and continue using the previous 3200Mhz set.

40-55°C is pretty high while just browsing with Chrome's multiple tabs open.
80-90°C while doing any task like gaming is unacceptable.

currently with Firefox and 9 tabs open i am still sitting ~32°C
while gaming i never pass 65°C.
The ram was upgraded from 16GB to 32GB. I just cannot get it to boot on the 3600MHz setting in the BIOS. I doubt that this is causing my CPU to overheat though. What should I do? Change the AIO or what? Would you be open to maybe going into discord or something and I can stream my temps and all?

no need to "stream" anything.
you can easily watch yourself and post any temperatures here.
The ram was upgraded from 16GB to 32GB. I just cannot get it to boot on the 3600MHz setting in the BIOS.
then there is no point in keeping it.
if you're only going to run it at default speeds you may as well just get a much cheaper set that natively runs at that speed.
if you feel the need to run 32GB than check on your motherboard's manufacturer product support page QVL list for compatible sets before purchasing.
What should I do? Change the AIO or what?
you need to determine what is causing the high temperatures before going out and just purchasing new components.

you should first arrange the system-wide cooling in a more efficient manner.

the liquid cooler should be installed in the ceiling of the case with it's fans blowing out\exhausting through the radiator.
this way none of the CPU's heated air is recirculated into the interior of the case.

you should have at least 3 intake fans pulling in cool air through the front of the case.

you should also have a rear exhaust fan helping to exhaust air heated by the GPU and other components.

but if these are low quality, low airflow, low air pressure fans then they won't be doing much good at their job.
iBuyPower is known for using lower quality components so i would assume their fans are near to worthless.
try them out in the new configuration and see if temperatures drop significantly.

if you want to ensure that you have fans with good stats;
be quiet! Silent Wings 3 or
Noctua iPPC
just be sure which sizes the case & cooler can accommodate.

Reactions: xozappa
Jul 28, 2021
Thank you. I believe I have found the issue and it has to be the the crappy aio and fans from iBuy. I mounted the aio at the top and now just browsing it runs at around 30-40 Celsius. I even loaded up a game and it is not going over 50 Celsius. Thank you for the help. I will end up buying a new aio and fans to replace these. Any recommendations on 240mm, 3 fan aio?

at those temps i would say the cooler's pump & radiator are fine.
a lot of them are just rebranded Asetek hardware.

replacing the fans may be a good idea though.
this would definitely allow you to set a less aggressive fan curve and probably get the fan noise down to almost inaudible.
Any recommendations on 240mm, 3 fan aio?
240mm = 2x 120mm fans.
360mm = 3x 120mm fans.

i would get 2x Noctua NF-F12 for the existing radiator.

and be quiet! Silent Wings 3 High-Speed PWMs for the case.
3x front intake & 1x rear exhaust.
if you can fit 140mm fans in the front & rear go for those, otherwise 120mm.

Reactions: xozappa
Jul 28, 2021
So I noticed this morning, the aio is gurgling. Sounds like there is air trapped somewhere. I have tried leaning the PC all different ways and it still is bubbling.