[SOLVED] CPU overclock Issue.

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
I have an MSI Z490 Tomahawk Motherboard and i9-10900k. When i first tried to overclock the CPU to a simple 5.0ghz i set in the bios i put a vcore of 1.25v and Short/Duration Power Limits to Unlimited. and LoadLine Calibation to 4. when i saved and booted into windows i checked and it was 5.0ghz but when i was browsing around on Google Chrome on Youtube i started getting random GPU TDR Errors. Display Driver Crashing. As soon as i reset the bios to default settings it was fine after that. So i dont know if i set something wrong or it was just unstable overclock ?

Solution
I Reset everything to default in the Bios with the XMP turned off aswell and i also reinstalled windows 10 because i forgot to mention when i changed my motherboard a month ago but didnt reinstall windows 10 afterwards so i did it tonight just to make sure its not that thats been causing the problem. I managed to play a few hours tonight without any crashes or Reboots. I will try again tommorow and play for another few hours again to confirm it. If it was the OC and XMP Profile what can i do to set it back without the problems would i have to set the Ram Timings Manually and also Manually Overclock the CPU because a part of me is thinking now i might just leave it alone for the sake of stability lol.
Good.
First step will be to...

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
Probably unstable overclock.
See here for a good guide to overclocking - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

Overclocking is NOT a set it and done in 5 mins. Overclocking CAN be frustrating and take DAYS to dial in the right settings on just one component.

its okay i reset the bios to defaults and just set the Core Multiplier to 50x and let the bios automatically handle the voltages. its only a simple 5.00ghz all core overclock and its about 1.28v to 1.34v underload and i haven't had any issues or instability since. been playing games etc the whole week and no issues. and my CPU temps underload while around 40c to 56c

Reactions: alceryes

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
Probably unstable overclock.
See here for a good guide to overclocking - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

Overclocking is NOT a set it and done in 5 mins. Overclocking CAN be frustrating and take DAYS to dial in the right settings on just one component.

Btw i have a Corsair H100x AIO Liquid Cooler i ran OCCT but the temps get to 80c very quickly is this anything i should be concerned about? when i ran Cinebench for 10 mins it went to 80c is it normal for this cooler?

Like my i9-9900k, that CPU gets hot with a high voltage. Those temps are okay if they are just spikes but, for a long CPU life, you don't want the temps at 80-85ºC for long amounts of time.
My CPU will do 5.0GHz as well, but I have to give it more voltage than I'm comfortable with and it gets too hot for my little H80i v2 to handle in stress tests so I keep it at a static 4.8GHz and it rarely gets above 70ºC.

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
Like my i9-9900k, that CPU gets hot with a high voltage. Those temps are okay if they are just spikes but, for a long CPU life, you don't want the temps at 80-85ºC for long amounts of time.
My CPU will do 5.0GHz as well, but I have to give it more voltage than I'm comfortable with and it gets too hot for my little H80i v2 to handle in stress tests so I keep it at a static 4.8GHz and it rarely gets above 70ºC.

got ya, im mostly gaming on my system anyway i dont always run stress test software that often i only use it to identify issues or to see what my max temp can go. but during gaming the temps are more than fine.

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
Can you post a link to your Userbenchmark and Time Spy tests for a comparision?

i would if my computer was working. ive been having other problems past couple of weeks now. Ive been getting Random Shutoff/Reboot and i know for a fact its not the OC on the CPU because i was getting issues before on my RTX 3080. Basically i swapped i put in a Corsair RM850x i got a Shutdown issue still. So today i got another power supply which i just fitted in today i got a Seasonic GX-1000w PSU and an hour ago of testing my System Shutoff Again. Im really sad and dissapointed.

Try setting everything - overclocks, overvolts, timings adjustments, etc. for ALL components CPU, GPU, memory, motherboard to their stock/default values to see if the shutdown issue goes away. The scores you're seeing in my sig were achived after weeks of tweaking overclocks, voltages, timings, etc.
If you have frustrating issues going back to stock should be the very first step.

Reactions: Phaaze88

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
Try setting everything - overclocks, overvolts, timings adjustments, etc. for ALL components CPU, GPU, memory, motherboard to their stock/default values to see if the shutdown issue goes away. The scores you're seeing in my sig were achived after weeks of tweaking overclocks, voltages, timings, etc.
If you have frustrating issues going back to stock should be the very first step.

right ive loaded optimized defaults in the Bios im gonna try a game out again for 2 hours then come back and will update you if it the issue still happens or not.

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021

I Reset everything to default in the Bios with the XMP turned off aswell and i also reinstalled windows 10 because i forgot to mention when i changed my motherboard a month ago but didnt reinstall windows 10 afterwards so i did it tonight just to make sure its not that thats been causing the problem. I managed to play a few hours tonight without any crashes or Reboots. I will try again tommorow and play for another few hours again to confirm it. If it was the OC and XMP Profile what can i do to set it back without the problems would i have to set the Ram Timings Manually and also Manually Overclock the CPU because a part of me is thinking now i might just leave it alone for the sake of stability lol.

Good.
First step will be to see if you can enable XMP and it be stable. Note that you may need to manually adjust the voltage to the max listed by the RAM mfg. in order for it to be stable. If you are able to boot with XMP enabled the FIRST thing to do will be to create and boot from a Memtest86 USB and let it go through at least one full pass of memory testing (will take a while). If it does that with no errors your memory should be 99% stable.

Solution

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
Good.
First step will be to see if you can enable XMP and it be stable. Note that you may need to manually adjust the voltage to the max listed by the RAM mfg. in order for it to be stable. If you are able to boot with XMP enabled the FIRST thing to do will be to create and boot from a Memtest86 USB and let it go through at least one full pass of memory testing (will take a while). If it does that with no errors your memory should be 99% stable.

i did do that before i let it ran for 4 passes but i did have both sticks installed. ill be doing some testing the next few days for the meantime ill leave everything stock until i know for sure it was defo caused by overclock. then ill test again with XMP Enabled. would it be worth updating my bios aswell?