[SOLVED] (CPU Overclocking)Alienware R4 CPU Performance Mode Question

May 8, 2019
Is there any other Alienware users that use the CPU Performance mode to overclock their CPU?
I decided to give it a try and enabled Level One OC (out of 3), the results were much greater than expected...Testing Arma 3, my game went from 35-50FPS on standard graphics, to now where I'm running the game at 130+FPS with literally every graphic setting maxed out.

So my question:
A. Is it dangerous to have my CPU Overclocked?
B. Can I leave my PC on CPU Performance mode even after I finish gaming, or do I need to turn off performance mode when I'm not gaming? (I have to go to BIOS to switch it on and off).

Side Notes: I believe my CPU temps are very cool, but I'm not sure of what temp levels are dangerous (I have Fan Performance mode enabled as well as an extra fan I installed to hep with that).

-Thank you to anyone that can comment. I posted multiple threads in the Alienware Arena forums, but no one has answered me yet. I'm new to the PC scene and have no idea what I'm doing, if you have any other advice about CPU Overclocking I'm willing to listen, because I don't understand any of this. I also have trouble understanding long and complicated wording and can get confused easily while reading, if possible keep it simple.

SYSTEM SPECS:

Alienware M17 R4
Processor- Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK (Quad-Core, 8MB Cache, Dynamically Overclocked up to 4.1GHz)
Video Card- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5
Display- 17.3 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits Display with Tobii IR Eye-tracking
Memory (RAM)- 32GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x16GB)
Hard Drive- 256GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Wireless- Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1

Last edited:
Solution
Overclocking can produce more heat. Excessive heat = bad. 90+ Celsius would be a problem. If you're able to keep it around 80 C or lower, that's rather good for a 6820HK, and especially so for an overclocked one.

Overclocking in and of itself is not exactly dangerous, but can sometimes produce instability. What's dangerous to components is excessive heat and stress (electrical, i.e voltage).

If your temps are okay, then happy gaming!
Overclocking can produce more heat. Excessive heat = bad. 90+ Celsius would be a problem. If you're able to keep it around 80 C or lower, that's rather good for a 6820HK, and especially so for an overclocked one.

Overclocking in and of itself is not exactly dangerous, but can sometimes produce instability. What's dangerous to components is excessive heat and stress (electrical, i.e voltage).

If your temps are okay, then happy gaming!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS