CPU overclocking for no reason help!

Dec 16, 2018
I have recently been trying to overclock my cpu with XMP mode enabled but noticed the temps were getting to high so decided to reset everything to factory. However with my bios reset my cpu i700k is running at 4.5ghz instead of 4.2ghz and hitting idle temps between 60-100c! The voltage doesnt seem to go to high though.

I dont know what is causing this issue, i have started my pc in safe mode and it didnt over clock, application wise i dont have anything running an overclock. Any suggestions on to what could be causing this?

I have the following programs installed:
cpuz
CPUID
Corsair CUE iCue software
Corsair Link 4
Firestorm version 2.0.0.026

Any suggestions as i dont want my cpu damaged and im afraid to run games due to the heat!

Most of these are just for fan management and

Dec 16, 2018
Sorry i mean i7700k.
ive just forced the clock to 42 in the bios and its still running between 50-100c in spikes in idle.
I have a corsair Hydro Series™ H100i cooler and thats running like mad to keep the temps down.

Feb 28, 2019
I was having the same problem before I delidded my CPU. The temps were super high >90C at full load. This is due to poor heat transfer from the chip to the IHM block. My radiator was not even warm and the CPU was telling me it was at 90C which is hot enough that the cooling sytem should be super hot. After delidding and using the liquid metal conductonaut my temps are steady and never go above 70C. Plus I know it is fixed because my radiator gets warm during use.