[SOLVED] CPU overclocking itself when using Geforce NOW

Sep 24, 2020
Geforce NOW is a cloud gaming application that I use since last year, and recently I noticed that my cpu speed is going into overclock state when I open the application. My cpu is an AMD A10 4600M 2.3ghz. It should only be on 2.3ghz but when I open the app it goes to 2.7ghz and sometimes 3.2ghz causing high laptop temperatures. I do not know why it is causing this because this only happens when I use the app but playing other games from steam/epic it does not happen. I already did a fresh install on windows 10 hoping it would fix my issues but to no avail it did not work and just wasted my time. Any smart help here will be appreciated since I am not entirely sure what is causing this cpu to overclock itself when opening that app. It does not happen before but recently Geforce NOW got an update to there app and I am not sure if its because of that update.

Solution
I dont really want the boost since my temperatures hit above 90-100C and i can feel the heat from the left side of the laptop thats why i want it not hitting the boosted speed, thats why i locked the cpu to 2.3ghz but it seems the app is bypass this locked state.

Ah okay, well that explains it a little more. In that case rather than lock your CPU speed, you should consider fixing the overheating issue as the cause, rather than higher boost speeds, as the symptom.

The laptop is prob a few years old right? You might consider replacing thermal paste on your CPU/GPU. This should bring your temps down substantially, and allow you to use your boost speeds to give you more FPS in game.
Geforce NOW is a cloud gaming application that I use since last year, and recently I noticed that my cpu speed is going into overclock state when I open the application. My cpu is an AMD A10 4600M 2.3ghz. It should only be on 2.3ghz but when I open the app it goes to 2.7ghz and sometimes 3.2ghz causing high laptop temperatures. I do not know why it is causing this because this only happens when I use the app but playing other games from steam/epic it does not happen. I already did a fresh install on windows 10 hoping it would fix my issues but to no avail it did not work and just wasted my time. Any smart help here will be appreciated since I am not entirely sure what is causing this cpu to overclock itself when opening that app. It does not happen before but recently Geforce NOW got an update to there app and I am not sure if its because of that update.

Hey there,

So, I don't mean to be rude starting off, but you're misunderstanding what's happening.

The 2.7ghz and 3.2 ghz are boost/turbo speeds of your CPU. This is normal behaviour. The CPU will boost to these speeds when the temperatures allow it to do so. It actually really helps performance. Specially gaming. CPU speed is very important for gaming.

There is nothing wrong with your CPU.

With that said, I'd ask the question why it's not boosting during other gaming on Steam. You want your CPU to be running at it's fastest for gaming, and then it clocks down to 2.3ghz or lower to save power when you're not doing intensive CPU tasks.

Sep 24, 2020
Hey there,

So, I don't mean to be rude starting off, but you're misunderstanding what's happening.

The 2.7ghz and 3.2 ghz are boost/turbo speeds of your CPU. This is normal behaviour. The CPU will boost to these speeds when the temperatures allow it to do so. It actually really helps performance. Specially gaming. CPU speed is very important for gaming.

There is nothing wrong with your CPU.

With that said, I'd ask the question why it's not boosting during other gaming on Steam. You want your CPU to be running at it's fastest for gaming, and then it clocks down to 2.3ghz or lower to save power when you're not doing intensive CPU tasks.
I dont really want the boost since my temperatures hit above 90-100C and i can feel the heat from the left side of the laptop thats why i want it not hitting the boosted speed, thats why i locked the cpu to 2.3ghz but it seems the app is bypass this locked state.

Ah okay, well that explains it a little more. In that case rather than lock your CPU speed, you should consider fixing the overheating issue as the cause, rather than higher boost speeds, as the symptom.

The laptop is prob a few years old right? You might consider replacing thermal paste on your CPU/GPU. This should bring your temps down substantially, and allow you to use your boost speeds to give you more FPS in game.

Solution