[SOLVED] CPU overheat really fast when playing high intensitive games

Chheang101

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
So i have an inspiron 7566 which is the malaysian version of the inspiron 7567 that have:

i5 6300hq quad core cpu and gtx 960m

and other else is the same as the inspiron 7567.

So last week i took my laptop to the repair shop and he said that my laptop cannot be fixed because the cpu overheats really qiuckly and he said that my laptop is one of the problem he rarely see and he thinks that is the company fault.Also he said your last hope is stop playing and it hurts to hear that.

my max cpu temp is 74 degree celcius

specs :

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-HSC9PFG
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 7566
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 0797
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.3.1, 7/23/2018
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Product 0293F5
BaseBoard Version A00
Platform Role Mobile

Solution
As a laptop owner I also had overheating issues recently, but my Temps were hitting 100 degrees and my CPU was throttling. Besides repasting the heatsink I also recommend undervolting, it dropped my Temps a further 10 degrees with no performance downgrade. And keep in mind that my cpu also has peaks of 74 degrees now, which is perfectly fine. So you shouldn't even worry.
Feb 19, 2019
The temp seems ok. But how fast is it getting there?

Might be as simple as checking your thermal paste and making sure the heatsink and fan are making good contact.

Chheang101

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
The temp seems ok. But how fast is it getting there?

Might be as simple as checking your thermal paste and making sure the heatsink and fan are making good contact.

At first I launch apex legend for the first 1 or 2 minutes and then the fps drop start coming and I notice when the spike occur the cpu usage is at 100% or in the high 90s and the fan is loud.
I will try to paste my CPU to see what happens

Cioby

Distinguished
Or you could just use Vsync and not stress your laptop more than it can handle. It doesn't sound like your laptop was meant for high end gaming.
Put Vsync on so you won't have screen tears anyway, then lower some settings. If it still happens then you can clean your laptop for dust and try to reapply thermal paste too.

Chheang101

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
Or you could just use Vsync and not stress your laptop more than it can handle. It doesn't sound like your laptop was meant for high end gaming.
Put Vsync on so you won't have screen tears anyway, then lower some settings. If it still happens then you can clean your laptop for dust and try to reapply thermal paste too.

my thermal paste will arrive today and thanks for the help though i will this soon

snipester90

Reputable
Jan 26, 2019
As a laptop owner I also had overheating issues recently, but my Temps were hitting 100 degrees and my CPU was throttling. Besides repasting the heatsink I also recommend undervolting, it dropped my Temps a further 10 degrees with no performance downgrade. And keep in mind that my cpu also has peaks of 74 degrees now, which is perfectly fine. So you shouldn't even worry.

Solution