Question CPU Overheating and thermal throttling in my laptop

May 4, 2019
Hey,
My laptop was working perfectly fine until a month ago. Now it thermal throttles every time I try to launch any application. It idles at 60 C and shoots upto 90 c every chance it gets.
I dismantled it a couple of times and dusted it out and changed the thermal paste too. But nothing seemed to work so I need help.
Laptop - HP pavilion p208tx
Processor - Intel i7 5500U 2.4GHz
Thank you.

May 2, 2019
First you should throttle down the effective CPU clock, so you at least have a chance to see what actually drives your OS crazy.

If you are running Windows you should prepare an USB-Stick to boot a Live-Linux. Why? Because it is the most simple method to find out if it is a software or simply a configuration problem of your Windows.

If the Laptop will behave exactly the same when you have booted into the Live-Linux, then you have already spotted out that it is not a configuration problem of Windows. In this case the problem could be 2 things:

A) .. a Firmware-problem; either the CPU, BIOS|UEFI or the GPU has malicious Code, or

B) .. a Hardware-problem; either a sensor is blocked|defective, or the cooling-fan has lost it's grip due to an initial overheating, or the cooling-pipes|plates have been malformed due to an initial overheating (meaning there is too much distance now).

So, tell us what OS you are running; and if it is Windows, tell us if you have an USB-Stick to prepare a Live-Linux (and let us know if you need help with it).

---

Hope it helps. Should be. Thanks for reading.

Reactions: daniel.james02
May 4, 2019
First you should throttle down the effective CPU clock, so you at least have a chance to see what actually drives your OS crazy.

If you are running Windows you should prepare an USB-Stick to boot a Live-Linux. Why? Because it is the most simple method to find out if it is a software or simply a configuration problem of your Windows.

If the Laptop will behave exactly the same when you have booted into the Live-Linux, then you have already spotted out that it is not a configuration problem of Windows. In this case the problem could be 2 things:

A) .. a Firmware-problem; either the CPU, BIOS|UEFI or the GPU has malicious Code, or

B) .. a Hardware-problem; either a sensor is blocked|defective, or the cooling-fan has lost it's grip due to an initial overheating, or the cooling-pipes|plates have been malformed due to an initial overheating (meaning there is too much distance now).

So, tell us what OS you are running; and if it is Windows, tell us if you have an USB-Stick to prepare a Live-Linux (and let us know if you need help with it).

---

Hope it helps. Should be. Thanks for reading.
I use Windows 10 and I installed in a new clean SSD and still the problem persist. I have also tried to boot manjaro OS using a USB stick and it ran pretty smoothly but unfortunately I didn't check the temperatures. The CPU fan runs at stock RPM and works perfectly fine. I haven't tried to mess with the clock speeds and I'm not sure how to fix the firmware problem if there any.
If the problem is with the cooling pipes are you suggesting that I should replace it?
Thank you for the help