Question CPU overheating and won't boot.

MarkJohnson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I was given an old WHS 2011 system from a friend. I loaded it up and after restoring forgotten password then moving it from my test bench to my computer room in hopes of using it for a home cloud server.

I turn it on and it starts WHS and just when it was going to the login screen, it auto-reboots on me. Then it says CPU overheating.

I open case, clean it out, even though it was fairly clean and checked everything and turned it on and still CPU overheat message. The BIOS said CPU Temp 100C.

I then remove heatsink and apply new paste and restart, and still CPU overheating error. I check the BIOS and it still says 100C.

I thought it was the sensor froze on crash or something so I cleaned CMOS and pulled battery and waited for an hour and replaced battery/jumper. then turned it on and still CPU overheating error message and still 100C.

The monitor software has an option to ignore temps, but it still gives the error message of CPU overheating.

I just notice the BIOS says 102C occasionally. It's weird as it is fairly cool. Warm, but not that hot. It should burn me to touch, but doesn't.

Any ideas what could be the issue?

System:
AMD Athlon 64 5000+ (2.6 GHz) AM2
4 GGB of RAM
Asus M3A78-ME motherboard

MarkJohnson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
OK, I bought a new (used) CPU and it is still 100c.

Anyone know where the CPU heat sensor is located?

I think it may be dirty or something. The computer won't boot in WHS2011 but works in win10, although it takes forever to boot.

I would appreciate any help. I need this working.