[SOLVED] CPU overheating? Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 280 and Phanteks P600s case.

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Hello everyone. I hope you guys can help me since i am a little desperate here. I just got a new PC and i think i am having a temperature issue with the CPU. Ive been using this PC for some days now, all was running smoothly. The only strange thing was that in the MSI BIOS platform the CPU temperature was 46C-54C normally while it was idle. I thought maybe the new Ryzen CPUs runs hotter. Today i downloaded the game Valorant and after 5-10 mins in practice mode, suddenly everything went into slowmo and the mouse was stuttering. It dint shut down and while windows was in slow mo and freezing i touched the top filter of the case and the air coming out was hotter than usual. So i turned off the PC, restarted and started Valorant again. Using GPU info i noticed the GPU temperature was around 55-60 in practice mode. I havent installed any tool to check the CPU but when i started Valorant again the air became hotter.

My system. 3090 ti, Ryzen 5950x, Windows 11, Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 280 cooler and a P600S Case. I have 3 intake fans on the front of the case. the 280 fans from the radiator and a 140 exhaust fan on the back.

The cable from the cooling system is plugged on the CPU motherboard pin. On the MSI BIOS, since the beginning i enabled the "ALL" to full speed on the hardware monitor. I noticed the 3 intake fans are working fine pulling in cold air. The back exhaust fan is working great too but the radiator fans seem to varely be pulling out air. I checked the orientation arrow on the radiator fans and is pointing up. And yes, i made sure to remove the plastic sticker from the cooler. I put it on the cooler's box so i remind my self i removed it.

Last edited:
Solution
Here are some HwInfo screens:
While using normal load browsing/music/etc:
https://postimg.cc/bSxQLwSZ

Under heavy load in ARK while recording in OBS Epic Settings for about 20-30mins.:
https://postimg.cc/QVmZKjCd

It seems is a Valorant issue. I did some googling and there is something similar but is 6 months old.

Anyway if someone can analyze the images and tell me if its still might be a temp issue? Are these temps normal? Thanks

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
1You could at least report what the cores' temperatures are getting to... the thread title is inquiring about cpu temperature, after all.
2)Check if your unit falls within the window for this: https://www.arctic.de/us/lf-service-kit

1. All of them vary from 46-to 54C
2.Just got this PC. By date it should not be affected. Also the chemical reaction takes time and i contacted Arctic with product serial. They said no.

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
That's all the cores see in game? That's nothing to that cpu.
On indle, havent test the game again after that.

Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Your pc case has removable acoustic front panel. Remove it to improve airflow.
Yeah removing the panels is the first thing i did after the first time like i said in the main post. Not only from the front but also the top. There was not much of a difference but dint stress test after the first incident. I think it has something to do with the radiator fans and/or the BIOS settings.

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Low load thermals isn't useful here - the gpu isn't even active.
You're suspecting slow downs caused by cpu thermal throttling in the game(s), right? Then we need you to report what the core temperatures are during that.
I will do the heavy testing on the morning. Is almost 3 am here. I will download a heavier game like Ark, get a better monitoring software and test it again. Still here are some questions because it strikes me hard this is happening.
  1. Is not odd to have these kind of temps in idle with a water cooling solution?
  2. It bothers me a lot that the radiator fans doesn't pull out air as much as the front fans or the back fan. Is this normal?
  3. Something tells me the pump and the fans are not working at its full potential, maybe the BIOSs settings?
  4. Any recommendations on the monitoring software, i will do the heavy testing after i wake up.

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
When was cooler bought and produced ?
There was a recall from Arctic for a problem with a pump gasket breaking apart and clogging cold plate.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHdEqWpexH0

@Phaaze88 already asked about this. Is new and i confirmed with Arctic.

Couldn't find anything like that in your first post. Re-read it multiple times.

Still would like to see a photo of your system (with side panel removed).
Thanks for keeping up. Just woke up. Going to deal with work and i will get on with heavy testing and take a picture of it. I doubt is cable management since most of it is routed on the back and the intake fans are taking cold air pretty fine and the exhaust on the back is working great. The radiator fans are the ones that are working way lower than the rest, they spin but they barely move any air.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Still here are some questions because it strikes me hard this is happening.
  1. Is not odd to have these kind of temps in idle with a water cooling solution?
  2. It bothers me a lot that the radiator fans doesn't pull out air as much as the front fans or the back fan. Is this normal?
  3. Something tells me the pump and the fans are not working at its full potential, maybe the BIOSs settings?
  4. Any recommendations on the monitoring software, i will do the heavy testing after i wake up.
1)No.
2)Not entirely sure what you did to determine this(preferably a piece of paper), but I'd say it's normal:
-when there's a rear exhaust fan to steal air away from the cooler's fans.
-the physical 'obstacles'. Rear fan has the grille and it fights with the cooler's fans some. Cooler fans have the radiator, the support bracket, the air filter, fights with the rear fan, and the optional top panel.

3)If you plugged the cables according to the manual, the LF IIs' pump and fans are managed by single PWM splitter and only follow the signal of the pump(IIRC).
Slightly less optimal than having the pump and fans on different headers, but it does save on cable real estate.

4)HWINFO.

Reactions: preguntonontrack

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Here are some HwInfo screens:
While using normal load browsing/music/etc:
https://postimg.cc/bSxQLwSZ

Under heavy load in ARK while recording in OBS Epic Settings for about 20-30mins.:
https://postimg.cc/QVmZKjCd

It seems is a Valorant issue. I did some googling and there is something similar but is 6 months old.

Anyway if someone can analyze the images and tell me if its still might be a temp issue? Are these temps normal? Thanks

Solution

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Yeah confirmed, the freezes were due to a Valorant issue with Windows 11. Played different games these las days and i had 0 issues.. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...eezes-after-alttab-in-valorant/?commentPage=1

Verified the idle temps and under heavy load temps with the CPU spec sheet and all seem normal. I will upgrade the case fans just to over kill the setup and leave the acoustic dampening panels out just to be sure. I might make a post to get some suggestions on how to improve the cooler.