Question CPU Overheating, causing shutdown. Where do I start?

WesPlaysGuitar

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Hey pals, I've recently run into a bit of a problem. Was playing CSGO yesterday, no problem, when all of a sudden my computer just shuts off. Okay, weird. That doesn't happen. So I go to restart and it will throttle and then shut down. Pop open the case and things are pretty warm in there. Fast forward a little bit, things have cooled down, I'm able to boot. Any kind of stress whatsoever is causing instant shutdown. Run HwInfo and my CPU is running hot.

SO, my question is, where do I start with troubleshooting? Thermal paste? CPU cooler? CPU? Help pls.

CPU is FX8350, cooler is Corsair H60 watercooler.

Reactions: Jimmyt2

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What temperatures was HWInfo recording?
Has the problem suddenly arised? Have you checked that the water cooler pump is working?
First port would be to replace thermal paste and reseat the cooler. But if the problem suddenly appeared out of nowhere, you may want to check the cooler pump.

WesPlaysGuitar

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
What temperatures was HWInfo recording?
Has the problem suddenly arised? Have you checked that the water cooler pump is working?
First port would be to replace thermal paste and reseat the cooler. But if the problem suddenly appeared out of nowhere, you may want to check the cooler pump.
HWInfo showed the temps hitting almost 70 C after a couple seconds of CPU Burner. Max temp on boot hits 60 ish.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd be tempted to look at if your pump is running. If it's jumping straight to near throttle just after boot I'd suspect there could be an issue. It can be normal for temps to be higher from BIOS and on boot, but not right to throttle point.

Presumably temps are going over 60 degrees just doing normal tasks?
How long have you had the cooler?

WesPlaysGuitar

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
I'd be tempted to look at if your pump is running. If it's jumping straight to near throttle just after boot I'd suspect there could be an issue. It can be normal for temps to be higher from BIOS and on boot, but not right to throttle point.

Presumably temps are going over 60 degrees just doing normal tasks?
How long have you had the cooler?
Had it for several years. I was assuming it was failing, but it's difficult to tell given its a water-cooler.

Also just shot to 66 C browsing with Chrome at 45W.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 3 things to an aio. Pump, fan and coolant. Pump can be working, fan can be working, that's easy enough to verify. What you can't see is the coolant. After several years of use, the constant heat and pressure will start to break the coolant down into its chemical composites. You'll end up with a lot of gases and sludge. Those gases have a chemical make up smaller than the holes in the rubber tubing and you get evaporation. Kinda like a tire left alone will eventually go flat as oxygen molecules are small and rubber is porous (slightly) on a molecular level.

This usually happens around the 5 year area, but that's a 125w cpu on a 140w cooler, so could happen sooner.

My guess is that coolant levels have lowered sufficiently that it's not flowing with any volume through the pump, so no real heat transfer is available. There's only 1 real fix for that issue, cpu cooler replacement.

In HWInfo, run it as sensors only.