GPU: EVGA 3080 FTW3
Processor: Intel 8700 (not k) 6 core 4.6ghz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow4

REPLACED PSU: Corsair CX650M 80Plus Bronze
NEW PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ 80Plus Gold

REPLACED COOLER: NZXT Kraken M22
NEW COOLER: Corsair H60

This computer is kept in an office that is kept at 70 degrees fahrenheit. My husband has had this computer for about 2 years. It has never had any issues like this.

I'm going to give the entire chain of events just in case any of these possibilities may be the culprit.

I was able to snag my husband a 3080 and installed it right away. He was having issues with his monitors randomly having the picture turn off for up to 30 seconds. I was pretty sure this was due to the power supply because there was no way to plug in all 3 PCIe cables without daisy chaining.

I went ahead and ordered him the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ 80Plus Gold as I read that it was recommended for this graphics card. Once it arrived, he went ahead and dusted out the inside of the case to prepare for the new power supply. I went ahead and installed it. Immediately once he booted it on he was having some significant performance issues. I checked his temps and his CPU was near 100c. I powered it off and gave it some time to cool off. '

I then pulled off the cooler and cleaned the old thermal paste off with q-tips and a little bit of rubbing alcohol. I applied new thermal paste and refastened the cooler. I powered the computer on and same deal. It is idling around 70c and even opening World of Warcraft shoots it to 100c. I went into the BIOS and cranked up the fans to see if it would make any impact on the temp. I noticed a noise from the radiator portion and decided he must have accidentally damaged it somehow while cleaning.

I headed over to the store and picked up the new cooler and installed it. Same high temps. I thought maybe I seated it incorrectly, so I reseated it and still had no improvement in temperatures. I flashed the BIOS, no luck.

I tried another power supply, no luck.

I really have no idea what else to try here. I'm wondering if maybe it is a voltage issue? Any other ideas? Thank you guys.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
M22 is rated at @ 130w, the H60 is @ 140w, it's enough of a gain.

Idle of anything higher than lowish 30's would indicate an issue with the installation or the hardware.

With the H60, it's a simple setup. Either fan to cpu_fan / pump to sys_fan, or vice versa. Factory recommendations state fan to sys_fan, but do not take case temps into consideration. The fan curve must be set to respond to cpu temps not motherboard temps. Personally I use fan on cpu_fan, just for that reason.

The H60 comes with paste pre-installed on the pump, so the only things that need doing is cleaning off the old paste from the cpu, removing the protective plastic from the new paste on the pump and correctly installing.

Not uncommon for ppl to miss a step, the plastic is often it.

Mar 26, 2021
M22 is rated at @ 130w, the H60 is @ 140w, it's enough of a gain.

Idle of anything higher than lowish 30's would indicate an issue with the installation or the hardware.

With the H60, it's a simple setup. Either fan to cpu_fan / pump to sys_fan, or vice versa. Factory recommendations state fan to sys_fan, but do not take case temps into consideration. The fan curve must be set to respond to cpu temps not motherboard temps. Personally I use fan on cpu_fan, just for that reason.

The H60 comes with paste pre-installed on the pump, so the only things that need doing is cleaning off the old paste from the cpu, removing the protective plastic from the new paste on the pump and correctly installing.

Not uncommon for ppl to miss a step, the plastic is often it.

The plastic was super prominent and I definitely removed it. I had it plugged into cpu_fan also. I ended up ordering the Corsair ICUE H115i Pro XT because I realized the H60 I got from BestBuy was from 2017. I'm not entirely sure if the new cooler will fix it, but everything seems to point to something not being right with the cooling system. Fingers crossed.

Mar 26, 2021
When you turn on the computer does the cpu temp go immediatley to 80c or does it slowly go up to 80c? And what temp does it go to when running a game, utilizing the 3080?
As soon as I turn the computer on it starts at 50-60c and works its way to 70-80c idle within 10-15 sec. When I open a game it shoots up to 100c so I close it ASAP.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Touch the top of the pump lightly, you should be able to feel a slight vibration if the pump is running. The radiator will passively cool the cpu to a good extent if it's got flow, even if the fan isn't spinning.

If the pump is sideways to the rad, tilt the whole pc slowly until the radiator is above the pump. If it is running, it's pretty quiet? Not making any gurgling or waterfall noise? Does the tubing come out of the side/top of the pump? Or the bottom?