[SOLVED] CPU Overheating Issue

May 27, 2022
Hello,

I've been running this system for some year:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
CPU Cooler: Be quite! Pure Rock 2
GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1070 gaming x @ 8gb
Motherboard: MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91)
PSU: RM650 — 650 Watt 80 PLUS
RAM: Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz @ 2x16GB
CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact / Solid
STORAGE: WD Black SN850 M.2 SSD - 500GB (OS DISK)
STORAGE 2: SAMSUNG SSD 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III 500GB

All running @ Windows 10 Pro

So the issue I've faced is that my CPU overheats during games, for example in FIFA22 the CPU doesn't go over 70C but then suddenly my PC freezes and disconnects all devices incl. ethernet and I have to manually power it off. After powering it on the CPU warning comes up saying:
"CPU Overheating alert! Please check CPU cooler is firmly attached and working properly."

I've been tearing my pc apart multiple times to see if my cooler is installed properly which it is, I can provide photos.
I've also replaced thermal paste multiple times and wiped it off just to replace again, correct amount too (watched videos).
Last but not least, reinstalled bios and windows 10 pro, wiped all my disks.

Anyone know what the cause can be, please ask me anything if you are wondering about anything not mentioned.

Thanks.

Solution
How are you measuring temperature?
70c. does not seem to be high enough to cause throttling. It takes more like 85c.)
Run HWmonitor and look at the minimum temperature.
That will be at idle when nothing much is going on.
It should be in the range of 15-20c over ambient.
It seems that ryzen is always somewhat active even with nothing much going on.
If you see substantially higher, there is a problem.
One key to installing the cooler is to tighten down the screws in a criss-cross pattern, a bit at a time. If you do one at a time, the cooler will not seat level.

What is your fan arrangement for the case?
If you take the side cover off and direct a fan at the innards, does that help much?
If so, add a second front 140mm intake fan...
Before, when all was well, how high did temps get then, doing the same tasks?

Have you reset the BIOS to defaults?

Case fan operation appears normal?

Have you examined the BIOS to see what the fan controls are set at?

Does your BIOS have a setting to warn you of fan failures or high temps?

70C isn't anywhere close to overheating. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the heat sensor reporting. Keeping the fans from spinning up.

Try manually setting the CPU fan to Max/12V in BIOS. Also the case fans if they are adjustable. Then game again. If that works. Try updating your BIOS and return to automatic. Also make sure your drivers are up to date and that your System Cooling Policy in Windows Power Management is set to Active not Passive. Same that your BIOS isn't set to quiet, passive or similar.

You're using thermal paste right?

May 27, 2022
70C isn't anywhere close to overheating. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the heat sensor reporting. Keeping the fans from spinning up.

Try manually setting the CPU fan to Max/12V in BIOS. Also the case fans if they are adjustable. Then game again. If that works. Try updating your BIOS and return to automatic. Also make sure your drivers are up to date and that your System Cooling Policy in Windows Power Management is set to Active not Passive. Same that your BIOS isn't set to quiet, passive or similar.

You're using thermal paste right?

Correct I'm using thermal paste, I meant in my OG post that I have added more and cleaned it off before applying new etc.

I'm trying the normal settings in bios and cpu fans in "smart mode" meaning the fans speeds change depending on temp.

My System Cooling Policy in Windows Power Management is set to Active as you said.

May 27, 2022
Before, when all was well, how high did temps get then, doing the same tasks?

Have you reset the BIOS to defaults?

Case fan operation appears normal?

Have you examined the BIOS to see what the fan controls are set at?

Does your BIOS have a setting to warn you of fan failures or high temps?
Yes in fact have resetted my bios to defaults, the only thing I have changed is the RAM speed.

Case fan operation appears normal? - Yes they do, I can feel them spinning air towards my components in both ways (left and right side of the case).

Does your BIOS have a setting to warn you of fan failures or high temps? - Not sure have to find out.

How are you measuring temperature?
70c. does not seem to be high enough to cause throttling. It takes more like 85c.)
Run HWmonitor and look at the minimum temperature.
That will be at idle when nothing much is going on.
It should be in the range of 15-20c over ambient.
It seems that ryzen is always somewhat active even with nothing much going on.
If you see substantially higher, there is a problem.
One key to installing the cooler is to tighten down the screws in a criss-cross pattern, a bit at a time. If you do one at a time, the cooler will not seat level.

What is your fan arrangement for the case?
If you take the side cover off and direct a fan at the innards, does that help much?
If so, add a second front 140mm intake fan.
Dangle a tissue near the fan to verify the airflow direction.
You want front intakes and rear exhaust.

Verify that under load the case and cooler fans are running at sufficiently high rpm.

I like the cooler, but it is only a modest boost over the stock coolers.
The DRP4 will have a more substantial size and cooling capability.

Lastly look at your bios settings.
Sometimes a default setting such as " optimum settings" results in an overclock.

Solution