CPU Overheating Issues AMD A10

Ryandongg

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Hello, I recently have been having overheating problems where my system will just shut off.

I looked at the BIOS and my cpu was running at an idle temp or 56-60C. I know this is really hot and so I went out and bought a Cooler Master Hyper T4.

Basically when I run a game like Fortnite on low settings it shuts off. And it wasnt till now that I had this problem while playing games.

Running HWMoniter I get temps upwards of 100C

My specs:

Amd a10-5800k
Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4
Patriot Viper 3 2x4gb ddr3-1600
Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Cx500W psu

Solution

You cannot use anything besides AMD Overdrive to monitor AMD APU temps. All programs and most of the time, even the BIOS gives false readings, especially while IDLE.

My suggestion is to use...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you're sure about those 100C temps and this is still happening after two coolers, it sounds like you have a real issue. Do you OC the APU? What case are you using? What are the ambient room temp that the machine is in?
Have you verified that the cooler's fan is indeed spinning at 600 RPM min and speeds up to 1800 RPM when needed?

Are you getting those temperatures after installing the CM Hyper T4?
What's you room temps?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If it wasn't for the fact that AMD doesn't have individual core sensors (only one common sensor), we could determine if there was a defective core causing the high temp. Then try to disable it. Maybe we can still do that in BIOS. If so, try to disable the cores one by one and see if there is any (major) change in temps.

You cannot use anything besides AMD Overdrive to monitor AMD APU temps. All programs and most of the time, even the BIOS gives false readings, especially while IDLE.

My suggestion is to use AMD Overdrive to get your temps. They use "thermal margin". The higher the number, the better, the lower the number, the closer you are to throttling.

1st make sure your cooler is properly seated and thermal paste application is clean and proper. Then please do a stress test with AMD Overdrive and monitor your temps using it, and let me know your results.

I used to have the same issues. Also MSI Afterburner is more accurate than other software while in game for AMD APU's, but not as accurate as overdrive. After the stress test, Id suggest using MSI Afterburner in game to monitor all usage on the CPU, temps, and other hardware usage while in game and pay attention to when it fails.

Solution