CPU overheating issues

Meowcenary

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I have a very old HP I've been trying to get in working order. It's a 10 year old a610n HP

The CPU is a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton 2.1GHz. Its been idiling at about 70-75C (the max temperature it can take is 100c) while just idiling at the desktop.

I applied some new thermalpaste to it but that didn't help much. I'm positive the heatsink is installed correctly and the fan is spinning. It's completely dust free to boot

I do notice one of the two fans is spinning at half the RPM's as the other, but I'm not sure what to think of that. One fan is spinning at about 4,000 RPM's while the other is spinning at around 2,000 RPM's when the fans are on high

The strange thing is it was working perfectly fine before I stored it in my closet for a couple of years. I've put the thing through some heavy use and never had any overheating issues with the CPU

Anyone have any ideas?

Solution

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

From what I remember, those older Athlon processors always ran quite hot. That being the idle temp does seem a bit warm though.
Where are you fans located? One is on the CPU of course (i hope).
It's normal for fans to have different RPM speeds, unless they're the same fan. 4000 rpm seems fast for a fan - but some fans do go that fast for sure.
The case might be not getting enough air. Im curious to see if opening the case changes the temps at all. Also, does the CPU fan speed up when doing any processing?

Solution

Meowcenary

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

Woops, accidentally chose your post as best solution. Damn touchpad, sorry about that

Both sides of the case have been off when I was testing it. There definitely is a fan on the CPU heatsink, the other fan is a larger case fan on the back blowing air out

The CPU fan speeds up to high when the CPU goes above 70c

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Hmm - thats definitely hot... When you replaced the thermal paste, was it new paste (shouldn't matter much unless the tube was sitting in the sun or something like that)? How much paste did you use and did you wipe off all traces of the old paste with rubbing alcohol? You only need as much paste as a large grain of salt. With that, as long as it was clean and there is a tight fit onto the processor, you shouldn't be getting temps like that...
Are we sure your CPU is actually idle? Maybe there is something running in the background using the CPU (check the task manager by right clicking on the task bar -> task manager -> performance tab)?
EDIT: sorry - not salt - a large grain of rice...

Meowcenary

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Today a couple of my friends said they have some unused parts laying around they're going to give me, including a new and much better CPU, due to this I'm going to retire my HP

Thanks Dorosh for your time and help, I appreciate it