Question CPU overheating occasionally but not always

May 10, 2023
Hi, question about my CPU.

I have made a previous post similar to this but I wanted to post to see if it made anymore sense with more than I’ve realised.

I have a Ryzen 5 3600 with a kolink observatory case with a M22 NZXT AIO.

it’s very strange but my CPU will sometimes overheat randomly and then sometimes it will not, sometimes it’ll be between 45-60 idle and 60-80 while gaming and sometimes it’ll just boot up at 80 degrees then end up crashing reaching 100 degrees sometimes, when this happens my exhaust fan/radiator from my AIO will be blowing cold air.
So sometimes my PC will just keep crashing but like literally I’ve just turned my PC off for 5 minutes after getting frustrated with it then now turned it back on and it’s sitting at 48 degrees?

Any ideas?

May 10, 2023
Could be a pump or header going out.

Do you have an air cooler that will work with the system to see if the fan stops spinning while on?
I do not, I was wondering whether I buy an entire new AIO and what’s the likely chance it’ll fix the problem as apparently single fan AIO’s are rubbish anyway?

I’m guessing it isn’t meant to be blowing cold air?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you boot to BIOS you should have a way to see if the pump is showing RPM. As a quick test you could use a case fan on that header long enough to hit the power button and shut it back down. If the fan spins the motherboard header is good. Next logical things to consider would be improper installation which we can figure against since it has worked. The other would be a pump starting to fail or clog.

Since this is a small AIO you might consider checking what your CPU load is when this overtemp situation occurs.

Reactions: jakeridgeway3112
May 10, 2023
If you boot to BIOS you should have a way to see if the pump is showing RPM. As a quick test you could use a case fan on that header long enough to hit the power button and shut it back down. If the fan spins the motherboard header is good. Next logical things to consider would be improper installation which we can figure against since it has worked. The other would be a pump starting to fail or clog.

Since this is a small AIO you might consider checking what your CPU load is when this overtemp situation occurs.
Yeah, I have checked my RPM for my fans and they all seem to be working in the BIOS.

I have checked using NZXT cam several times to monitor the load hence it overheats and my CPU load never goes above 50\60%. For example currently i am at 65 degrees with 1% load?

May 10, 2023

My AIO did used to make a sound when the PC started up like as if the water was starting to move when I clicked the power button however recently it has stopped doing that, unsure whether this may also add to the possibility of the pump failing.

May 10, 2023
Since having this rig, have you cleaned it of dust?

Pull off the side panel and see if temps change.
I did a clean on it the other day as thought it may be the dust but made little to no difference. Did try with the side panels off and also made little to no change.