CPU Overheating on Startup, not Cooling Down.

Masyman

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Ok so I posted this on reddit a few days ago but got no responses. As the title says my CPU is "Overheating" on startup and not cooling off once it has completely started up and such. I had a Corsair H80i mounted first and remounted it a couple of times replacing the thermal paste each time and properly mounting it (I replace the thermal paste every 3-4 months and dust at least every 6 months, so it is not due to poor mounting. I put the stock Intel cooler back on it and tried again, still overheating, I also tried with a friends PSU and the same thing happened. So have no idea what the problem is at the moment. I have got it so that it is running however it is still getting very hot so I am not sure what the problem is. Also, here is my computer ATM: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Masyman/saved/#view=rZ4NnQ. Thanks.

Masyman

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Sorry, forgot that important part mostly because my computer probably shouldn't be running right now, my CPU temp is roughly 70 degrees C on MSI Afterburner. On startup it goes up to 95-100, which I do not understand how that is possible because of the thermal protection.

Masyman

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Everything has been working fine for about 3-4 months since I put the water cooling in. It started overheating on startup around the end of last week. I should also mention that when it started to overheat the tube to take the water away from the CPU was getting hot while the other one was not, so the pump is still working. Also the water block got hot AF and I had to let it cool down before I took it off.

Can you feel the pump running? If one tube is significantly hotter than the other and the water block is that hot, it doesn't sound like the coolant is flowing very well. Whether the pump is wearing out, failing or there's a blockage inside the radiator. That would explain the overheating problem, the heat is trapped at the water block and the hot water doesn't sound like it's getting to the radiator to be cooled properly.

It's a bit different from an automotive cooling system with radiator since aio cooling loops are much smaller and have no thermostat designed to restrict flow until a certain temperature is reached. It's a fully flowing system full time, despite the heat from the cpu in one section and the fan cooling the coolant in the radiator in another. Meaning flow = constant, cpu = heat+, radiator/fan = heat- so there shouldn't be a 'hot' and 'cold' side rather the heat source and dissipation should cancel one another out eventually resulting in more even temps throughout the loop.

ChickenWizard

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Is the pump block in the proper orientation? I mounted my pump head sideways at first and my temps were hot, because there was almost no contact on the CPU, because of some capacitors that were beside the socket were not letting it make good CPU contact. Whoops :)

Masyman

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

Ok so I'm going to pretend I understand thermodynamics and say yes and nod my head, tomorrow I'm going to see if it is indeed the pump(It's a Corsair H80i and I bought it late last summer so it shouldn't be a problem to RMA.) The problem is even on the stock cooler it is blazingly hot, like, 95C on startup hot, and even then it only cools down to around 70C.

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

Try using the Intel Extreme Tuning utility and see what temps you are getting from that. Before you do uninstall MSI afterburner and anything else that reads from the CPU temp monitor.

Masyman

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Ok so I did some testing yesterday and it is not the water pump. I also decided to just leave it on in the BIOS to see what happened and it still just stayed at a very high temperature for a very long time. On startup it went straight up to 99C and then slowly went down to about 90 and then after about 10 minutes it started to go lower however it did not go below 60. I have no idea what is causing the problem and am pretty annoyed by it. I honestly may just take it down to local computer repair shop and see what they come up with however I would like to avoid having to pay for that to happen because that can get kind of pricy.