Question CPU overheating problem

Sep 7, 2024
Hello. I’ve been having an issue recently where my CPU has begun overheating alarmingly fast. I got a new ssd for extra storage, and when I opened my pc to install it, upon starting up my computer, the CPU rapidly began to overheat.

In a matter of seconds, it began heating all the way up to 89 degrees Celsius, eventually causing severe performance issues. I checked the BIOS and the actual CPU usage was still at a reasonable level of around 26%, but the temperature was out of control. Literally it’s in a matter of seconds as the temp skyrockets to dangerous levels.

I cleaned the inside of the pc of any dust and removed the new ssd thinking that was causing the issue, but the problem has persisted.

I’m wondering if this all just happens to coincide with the thermal paste suddenly degrading, but it seems really strange right after trying to add a new component the CPU would have such issues. Might the new ssd have had malware on it? Or is it time to repast the CPU?

Hello. I’ve been having an issue recently where my CPU has begun overheating alarmingly fast. I got a new ssd for extra storage, and when I opened my pc to install it, upon starting up my computer, the CPU rapidly began to overheat.

In a matter of seconds, it began heating all the way up to 89 degrees Celsius, eventually causing severe performance issues. I checked the BIOS and the actual CPU usage was still at a reasonable level of around 26%, but the temperature was out of control. Literally it’s in a matter of seconds as the temp skyrockets to dangerous levels.

I cleaned the inside of the pc of any dust and removed the new ssd thinking that was causing the issue, but the problem has persisted.

I’m wondering if this all just happens to coincide with the thermal paste suddenly degrading, but it seems really strange right after trying to add a new component the CPU would have such issues. Might the new ssd have had malware on it? Or is it time to repast the CPU?
You might have dislodged CPU cooler enough to break contact thru dried out paste. Re-paste first and see how it goes.