CPU overheating suddenly

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Before all this happened, I changed my CMOS battery because it was going bad. After which, I cleaned my rig by using canned air, the only thing I removed was the GPU. I didn't take apart the radiator fans and such to fully clean the radiator this time, I just slid the nozzle between the blades to clean the fans and the radiator a bit. I couldn't be sure which of these could have caused or what I did during those times because before doing these two things everything was working fine. I changed the CMOS then a few weeks passed then I semi cleaned the rig. I wasn't using the computer that much during those weeks.

Anyway, after all this is when I noticed that my computer started crashing when running multiple apps or when running some games(mostly heavy games like Witcher 3, AC: Origins, I was able to run minecraft for awhile. Also happens when I open multiple apps at the same time like opening chrome then immediately opening lightroom or some such). That's when I checked the temperature using RealTemp, I had it overlay on top while running a game. The CPU temp went up to 90*C and up. The thermal status would say HOT or LOG.

The cooler has never been removed since I had this rig assembled maybe about 4-6 years, forgot the exact year.

Here's sort of a partial look at how dirty the radiator is
fSkrZBQ.jpg

Here's an image of RealTemp and Corsair LINK
qbTdXeJ.png

Some Components:
CPU: i7-4790K
Cooler: H80i AiO Liquid Cooler (two fans, inner fan sucking air from inside, outer fan blowing air out)
GPU: Asus GTX 970 Strix
PSU: Corsair TX850w
6 case fans, two in front, 1 below, 1 on side, two on top

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I just touched the side of the radiator when I took that screen shot of Corsair LINK and RealTemp, it wasn't hot like holding a cup of coffee or cold like touching something left outside at night, I guess luke warm? Also, I live in a tropical country (Philippines).

EDIT EDIT: Okay, I just ran minecraft again and actually loaded a world this time. The temp significantly went up, then I stopped it immediately, here's the RealTemp readings.
qpwBg9n.png

Solution
I'd go with new thermal paste especially after seeing InvalidError's post.

As far as messing with the processor...it's no different than messing with anything else.

Go slowwwwww. Keep everything clean. Be CAREFUL with the paste. Go slowwwww.

The screws that mount the cooler to the MB can be tricky to get to.

Don't crank the crap out of them when you reinstall. Think "snug" not "cranked".
The radiator looks fine. Those can get pretty dirty and still work.

Check the snugness of the cooler....make sure it's snug on the processor.

Those cooler mounting screws can come loose.

Even if it seems snug...if it were me....I would yank it....clean off all the old thermal paste....put new stuff on....and remount.

InvalidError

Titan

Thermal paste is made of metallic oxide, graphite or ceramic dust suspended in silicone oil to form grease. Over time, the dust packs down and expels the excess silicone. Once the paste has fully settled, any nudging of the heatsink while working near it, such as while removing the GPU, may break the packed-down paste layer and cause cooling issues.

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016

So based on the info I gave, it's most probably just a thermal compound problem? I was so afraid it was a CPU or Cooler problem. Is that even possible for the the thermal paste to suddenly cause the CPU to overheat? I mean it was working perfectly fine just a few weeks ago, less than a month. I also didn't personally touch the cooler or anything near the CPU, I just blew air on it with the canned air, could that have caused it to come loose or something? I did blew air all around the CPU. Also, the screws on the left part of the Cooler/ Pump thing also can't be reached unless the radiator fans were removed.
WjypsS4.jpg

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016

Ooooh, so it is possible for the Thermal paste to suddenly cause overheating issues! I was expecting it to happen overtime instead of something sudden.

Well...in your situation....right now....removing the cooler....cleaning off the old paste...installing new paste.....and remounting....is the easiest thing to do and makes the most sense and if it's not this....this needs to be eliminated.

....and I don't think your thermal paste crapped out all of a sudden...I think it's way more likely one or more of your screws moved.

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016

Sorry if I'm sounding repetitive, annoying, or stubborn, but how could that have happened? I never touched the screws or anything around the CPU, did it happen when I was removing/inserting the GPU and such? Was it the air I blew on it, causing enough pressure to move it or something?

Well....we're not saying it happened just yet...but it has a potential to happen....and these things can happen all on their own. Screws come loose etc.

The way I look at it....if your processor is hot...and there is nothing OBVIOUS....then you need to make sure you cooler is installed right.

It only takes the smallest of air gaps between the processor and the cooler cause a heat problem.

I'm not saying that something else isn't the problem....but at the moment I don't see another direction to go in and that's what I would do.

I'm sure there are other opinions on what to do next.

InvalidError

Titan
There just isn't much else that can go wrong between the CPU and HSF other than things getting loose or the paste "seal" getting broken off by nudging the HSF. You may not even have noticed when you hit the HSF. It doesn't take much to break the thermal paste bond once it has fully cured.

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Alright, thanks for all the info guys! I'll try cleaning it and reapply a new thermal paste this sunday. I'll post back the results.. hopefully, I don't accidentally break it even more. I'm embarrassed to say, this will actually be the first time that I'd tinker with the CPU, I only ever touched the GPU, RAM, and storage stuff. Just the simple parts, lol.

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
By the way, is this thermal compound still usable? I found it lying around the house, I posted this on a separate thread, but might as well ask here too. This could have been here for maybe 5-10 or more years, I'm not entirely sure.

lb3FWwk.jpg

o0cXzlT.jpg

I'd go with new thermal paste especially after seeing InvalidError's post.

As far as messing with the processor...it's no different than messing with anything else.

Go slowwwwww. Keep everything clean. Be CAREFUL with the paste. Go slowwwww.

The screws that mount the cooler to the MB can be tricky to get to.

Don't crank the crap out of them when you reinstall. Think "snug" not "cranked".

Solution

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Alright, thanks guys, I'll go buy some new thermal compound that's atleast 5 wmk.

I'll keep the "going slow" in mind and hopefully not mess this up. I'll post back the results afterwards.

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
UPDATE: It worked! It did only need a new thermal compound! This is what I used because everything else was out of stock.. EVERYWHERE!

dTsEte5.jpg

After applying this and running minecraft(so that I could immediately quit if it did run hot again.), the temps only stay at around 60-73*C at idle the temps hover around 34-40*C

iAserty

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Both InvalidError and Jay32267 gave the solution to my problem, the only reason I chose Jay is because I can't choose both and because InvalidError has a lot of chosen solutions/answers already, so I'd like to add to Jay's solution counts.

Thank you so much InvalidError and Jay32267! God bless you both!