Question CPU overheating while in Bios

May 14, 2019
Approximately 2 weeks ago my desktop at work was being unresponsive while opening an email and I restarted the computer. I was then given a CPU heat warning and went into my bios where it was reading the CPU at 80C. After letting the computer sit for a few hours I did a cold boot up and went right into bios to monitor the temp. It started at about 30C and never stopped rising, till I eventually shut it off at 72C.

I have removed my AIO water pump, cleaned it, reinstalled it with new thermal paste. Same thing happens. I took another AIO water pump, cleaned the previous paste, applied new paste and it continues to over heat. Bios shows the pumps and fans running on both.

At this point...I have no idea what could be wrong. Sensor seems unlikely...so my best guess is something faulty with the CPU or motherboard. The computer can still boot just fine, but when I monitor the temp with a third party monitor I can see the temp still rising...and this is with the computer running virtually nothing. CPU, GPU, and Memory are all at little to no utilization.

Thoughts on what the issue might be and how to address?

Intel I7 8700K 3.70 Ghz
2x 16GB RAm Corsair Dominator
MSI 1060 6GB
EVGA 600BQ power supply

Let me know if I can provide other information.

I downloaded speed fan 4.52 to try to get some temp readings with a 3rd party software and within 3 minutes of a cold boot the temp was 60C. At 5min with google chrome open it was at 72C. I shut down the computer and immediately powered it back on, it gave a cpu temp warning and opened bios and showed 88C for the CPU

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Approximately 2 weeks ago my desktop at work was being unresponsive while opening an email and I restarted the computer. I was then given a CPU heat warning and went into my bios where it was reading the CPU at 80C. After letting the computer sit for a few hours I did a cold boot up and went right into bios to monitor the temp. It started at about 30C and never stopped rising, till I eventually shut it off at 72C.

I have removed my AIO water pump, cleaned it, reinstalled it with new thermal paste. Same thing happens. I took another AIO water pump, cleaned the previous paste, applied new paste and it continues to over heat. Bios shows the pumps and fans running on both.

At this point...I have no idea what could be wrong. Sensor seems unlikely...so my best guess is something faulty with the CPU or motherboard. The computer can still boot just fine, but when I monitor the temp with a third party monitor I can see the temp still rising...and this is with the computer running virtually nothing. CPU, GPU, and Memory are all at little to no utilization.

Thoughts on what the issue might be and how to address?

Intel I7 8700K 3.70 Ghz
2x 16GB RAm Corsair Dominator
MSI 1060 6GB
EVGA 600BQ power supply

Let me know if I can provide other information.

I downloaded speed fan 4.52 to try to get some temp readings with a 3rd party software and within 3 minutes of a cold boot the temp was 60C. At 5min with google chrome open it was at 72C. I shut down the computer and immediately powered it back on, it gave a cpu temp warning and opened bios and showed 88C for the CPU
Check and see if your AIO pump is running by actually leaving your computer open and listening for it/feeling the hoses to see if you feel the vibration of the liquid moving through it. Make sure that your SATA power connector for the pump is also connected. I see you have tried another AIO, but try another motherboard if you have access to one. Sounds like it's most likely a motherboard issue. If possible too try another power supply.

TRENDING THREADS