Question CPU overheating while in game after new GPU installed

May 4, 2024
Evening all,

I built my own computer roughly a year and a half ago. Been running completely fine with no issues until I stole my husband old GPU to replace my much older one. Ever since then just at completely random points the CPU will start to over heat causing the entire computer to slow way down and then crash and won't operate until the CPU has cooled down.

I installed a fan program to kick the fans to full power when it starts to go over a certain temperature but that doesn't seem to be enough. I've noticed it primarily when I am playing Final Fantasy XIV, which considering it's a 10 year old game isn't pulling heavy Graphics and the GPU stays cool through all of this. I'm not running anything super extensive, just Opera with a couple tabs open and FFXIV

I am running a AOI cooler on the CPU

Here are my computer specs.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 (this replaced a 1060 6 GB)
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Ram: Gskill F4-3600c18-8GTZN DDR4 16 GB ( i need to up this to at least 32)
AOI: Lian Li Galahad 240
5 fans total in the tower 2 in a mesh front, one rear, two through the AIO

Any help will be greatly welcome. I have no idea why with the GPU change it's suddenly over heating like this when I had zero issue with the 1060, everything should be more then powerful enough to handle a 2060.. it's not like I put a 4 series in there.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What is the make/model of your PSU? And, how old is it?

I am assuming the AOI is top mounted. If so, the fans should be oriented to suck hot air out of the case (exhaust). Is that how yours is aligned?

Is there are chance you disconnected the AOI fans or disturbed the CPU block pump when you swapped GPUs?

Reactions: kira-faye

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
How old is the AIO / how long has it been mounted up? Switching cards meant moving the case around, I'm assuming. Laying it on it's side, maybe moving it to a table or just pulling it away from the wall. This may have disturbed the block, or alternately, knocked stuff that has built up over time in the loop loose, letting it clog up the tiny micro fins inside. Does it sound any different? How much trouble would it be to re-mount it? If it's very old, the paste may just need to be re-done, and the extra heat from the new card was the tipping point.

Assuming you're running a full size case where there's room, are you willing to spend ~$30-40 on a Thermalright Peerless Assassin HSF that'll cool just as well if not better and eliminate the complexity of a closed loop water-cooling system? Cause that's what I'd do in your position, if it turns out there's any issue with the AIO. If you need an AIO due to case space constraints, Thermalright also has those for $40-50, but again, if there's space for a traditional dual tower 120mm heatsink, I'd just get the Peerless Assassin.

Are you just figuring the CPU is overheating because of how the system is behaving, or are you using monitoring software that's showing it's overheating? If so, what software?

Can we get a couple pictures of the system? Could help diagnose things.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024
What is the make/model of your PSU? And, how old is it?

I am assuming the AOI is top mounted. If so, the fans should be oriented to suck hot air out of the case (exhaust). Is that how yours is aligned?

Is there are chance you disconnected the AOI fans or disturbed the CPU block pump when you swapped GPUs?
They are top mounted and blow outward as an exhaust. I have two fans blowing inward to suck air in and 3 blowing as Exhaust.

As to disconnected it, none, I literally just pulled the old graphics card out and put the new one in, there is a fair bit of distance between the AOI and GPU

May 4, 2024
How old is the AIO / how long has it been mounted up? Switching cards meant moving the case around, I'm assuming. Laying it on it's side, maybe moving it to a table or just pulling it away from the wall. This may have disturbed the block, or alternately, knocked stuff that has built up over time in the loop loose, letting it clog up the tiny micro fins inside. Does it sound any different? How much trouble would it be to re-mount it? If it's very old, the paste may just need to be re-done, and the extra heat from the new card was the tipping point.

Assuming you're running a full size case where there's room, are you willing to spend ~$30-40 on a Thermalright Peerless Assassin HSF that'll cool just as well if not better and eliminate the complexity of a closed loop water-cooling system? Cause that's what I'd do in your position, if it turns out there's any issue with the AIO. If you need an AIO due to case space constraints, Thermalright also has those for $40-50, but again, if there's space for a traditional dual tower 120mm heatsink, I'd just get the Peerless Assassin.

Are you just figuring the CPU is overheating because of how the system is behaving, or are you using monitoring software that's showing it's overheating? If so, what software?

Can we get a couple pictures of the system? Could help diagnose things.
The AOI is hardly over a year and half old, I bought it when I built the computer so outside the graphics card everything in the system is brand new as of the build (late 2022)

When I replaced the GPU I literally opened up the side, took out the original GPU and inserted the new one. Didn't move the computer at all, didn't lay it down or even shift it from where it is sitting. I keep my computer pretty well dusted since I have it RGB'd out, so it's a clear side window.

I would need to get new thermal paste and try and remount it.. it's a AMD so kind of a pain in the ass to remount as it has to be screwed into place. I'm also trying not to replace any parts unless I have to with them being relatively new and me needing to up my ram before the next expansion.

My initial clue that something was over heating was the fact that the computer wouldn't even run after it crashed until some time had passed which suggested it was cooling down. I installed NZXT cam which allows me to watch the temp in real time and I would see the CPU's temp climb well beyond safe levels before the computer crashed. I also downloaded Fan control so that I could control when the fans kicked on and how strong they kicked on.

Screenshot_2024-05-05_113054.png
Screenshot_2024-05-05_113317.png

Second photo is an older one so it has the old GPU in it, but the new one is no different in size as you can see in the top photo
Screenshot_2024-05-05_1136372.png

This is loading the game, which is normally when the most power is pulled but the temp will climb higher then this at random points running the game.
image.png

This is once the game is fully loaded, I went to the most heavily populated section so it had the most load put onto it.

May 4, 2024
Change your temps to Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

If already Celsius, something is terribly wrong as your system should throttle well before the CPU was to get that hot.
Honest question why does it matter?

it's in F so I can understand what the temperatures are when I'm monitoring it.

May 4, 2024
Because for PC analysis, it is expected (even in the US) to use Celsius. As is, others have to convert to Celsius for comparison.

You are well under 100C (212F), so that isn't of great concern when under load.
That's why i'm confused, it normally is fine 3/4 of the time. It's just at completely random points that the temp will just skyrocket and hit the point where it force shuts down to protect itself from overheating.

last night I had been playing the game for hours fine, but the minute I entered a instance dungeon which is normally never an issue the whole computer started to lag out which is the first sign of over heating. Before I could even load up the program to kick the fans into high gear the comp crashed.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That's why i'm confused, it normally is fine 3/4 of the time. It's just at completely random points that the temp will just skyrocket and hit the point where it force shuts down to protect itself from overheating.

last night I had been playing the game for hours fine, but the minute I entered a instance dungeon which is normally never an issue the whole computer started to lag out which is the first sign of over heating. Before I could even load up the program to kick the fans into high gear the comp crashed.
"Skyrocketing" could be a symptom of a failing AIO pump. It could also be cause by a spiked increase in processing load.

So, how hot were components when you entered the dungeon?

Do these issues pop up when benchmarking or conducting a burn-in test?

Evening all,

I built my own computer roughly a year and a half ago. Been running completely fine with no issues until I stole my husband old GPU to replace my much older one. Ever since then just at completely random points the CPU will start to over heat causing the entire computer to slow way down and then crash and won't operate until the CPU has cooled down.

I installed a fan program to kick the fans to full power when it starts to go over a certain temperature but that doesn't seem to be enough. I've noticed it primarily when I am playing Final Fantasy XIV, which considering it's a 10 year old game isn't pulling heavy Graphics and the GPU stays cool through all of this. I'm not running anything super extensive, just Opera with a couple tabs open and FFXIV

I am running a AOI cooler on the CPU

Here are my computer specs.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 (this replaced a 1060 6 GB)
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Ram: Gskill F4-3600c18-8GTZN DDR4 16 GB ( i need to up this to at least 32)
AOI: Lian Li Galahad 240
5 fans total in the tower 2 in a mesh front, one rear, two through the AIO

Any help will be greatly welcome. I have no idea why with the GPU change it's suddenly over heating like this when I had zero issue with the 1060, everything should be more then powerful enough to handle a 2060.. it's not like I put a 4 series in there.
Just for yuks run a pass of ddu and then install the proper drivers for the new gpu.

May 4, 2024
"Skyrocketing" could be a symptom of a failing AIO pump. It could also be cause by a spiked increase in processing load.

So, how hot were components when you entered the dungeon?

Do these issues pop up when benchmarking or conducting a burn-in test?
Honestly I have no idea, I couldn't pull up any of the programs in time to look. I'm assuming 110 since that is the temp that engages the fail safe. I have it set for the fans that once it reaches 80 to start kicking into full power.

I've never run a benchmarking test, i'm still new to all of this.

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
Honestly I have no idea, I couldn't pull up any of the programs in time to look. I'm assuming 110 since that is the temp that engages the fail safe. I have it set for the fans that once it reaches 80 to start kicking into full power.

I've never run a benchmarking test, i'm still new to all of this.
You're speaking in C here, not F? Because these chips are fine up to ~90C (though ideally you want to keep them under 80C full load) and shutoff is usually 100-110C.

May 4, 2024
You're speaking in C here, not F? Because these chips are fine up to ~90C (though ideally you want to keep them under 80C full load) and shutoff is usually 100-110C.
yeah speaking in C. I have it set to kick onto full power at 80 because any time it reached that high it was only about 5 seconds before it spiked over and went into shut down territory.