CPU overheating with better cooler

Ibreakthings

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
I have just recently gotten a Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 to replace my Hyper TX3 used on a QX9650 @ 4.0GHz 1.31Vcore. My old temps with the TX3 were 75C Benchmarking/65C Load/ 45C Idle and now with the Freezer 13 its 99C Benchmarking/87C Load/ 50C Idle. I reseated the heatsink 6 times and reapplied MX-4 aswell each time. Why is my cooling performance so bad?

Solution
If the cooler is barely warm, that suggests that it's not mounted properly.

Also, generally speaking, the number of heatpipes is close to irrelevant. What you really need is additional cooling surface area, which the Freezer does not have (much of). It's a slightly better cooler, on paper, but they're practically the same thing. If you want to see an improvement, you'll want a 120mm, 140mm, or even dual 140mm tower cooler.
Those temperatures seem high, but if I may ask, why did you move from a 92mm cooler to another 92mm cooler?

What speed are you running the fan at with those temperatures? Does the heatsink get hot to the touch when your CPU is at 87/99c?

Ibreakthings

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
I have the fun attached to a fan controller to run it at max because its way to hot.And no its at 78C 74C 74C 71C and the top of the cooler is barley warm. And because i wanted to bring it down in the high 60's since it has another heat pipe

If the cooler is barely warm, that suggests that it's not mounted properly.

Also, generally speaking, the number of heatpipes is close to irrelevant. What you really need is additional cooling surface area, which the Freezer does not have (much of). It's a slightly better cooler, on paper, but they're practically the same thing. If you want to see an improvement, you'll want a 120mm, 140mm, or even dual 140mm tower cooler.

Solution