Question CPU overheating

sharon38

Prominent
Nov 13, 2021
Hi all, i built a system for a someone. it's an I9 processor (not overclocked), gen12, the cooler is be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black BK007
it's installed on an ANTEX case, with two fans on the front. During gameplay, the CPU reaches about 30% usage, and in about 30 min or so temp. are reaching 90-99 C.

I don't know what's wrong, but the question is this - how can I throttle the performance a bit so that the CPU won't reach those temps?
According to what I know this fan should be ok but i gave up on fixing the problem.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. Pictures not possible. Then we still need:
The case model; need to get some idea of what airflow is like. EDIT: Antec NX400. Front panel looks to be airflow challenged.
Exact 3080 model; the cooler type will have an effect on case ambient, which affects operating thermals of everything inside.
The client needs to test multiple titles to be sure the cooler is mounted on correctly.:
power-per-game.png

These are just peak power numbers across those 12 titles - yes, I know the graph shows 13900K, but i9-12 won't be much different - there are some titles that cooler may struggle with on that cpu.

sharon38

Prominent
Nov 13, 2021
the GPU is Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING OC 10GB 2.0 LHR .
I visited him today and he played the latest GTA.
What can i do to lower the performance a bit?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Without knowing what kind of power draw the cpu sees in games, the best I can conclude is that the Pure Rock 2 isn't adequate to deal with the high case ambient(suspected), the lack of cool air intake, and combined cpu+gpu heat loads.
1)You can go into bios and lower the cpu's max temperature limit to 80C or 85C.
2)Lower the power limit on the gpu via Msi Afterburner. Make sure to unlink the power and temperature limits via the chain link icon. Move the power limit slider between 80-95%; up to them to find that happy medium for performance to power use.

sharon38

Prominent
Nov 13, 2021
thank you for answering.

How about the Coolermaster Air MA620M?
how can I, instead of replacing the cooler, tweak the performance - maybe disable the turbo function or underclock the CPU?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu temperature limit: keep the cpu temperature within your desired comfort zone, while not sacrificing as much performance as disabling Turbo Boost would do.
Don't disable TB, please don't. You can reign in the cpu without hammering performance.

Lowering power limit via afterburner: Reduce the amount of heat the biggest heating element produces in the case, making it a little easier on the cpu cooler and rising case ambient temperature.

sharon38

Prominent
Nov 13, 2021
Cpu temperature limit: keep the cpu temperature within your desired comfort zone, while not sacrificing as much performance as disabling Turbo Boost would do.
Don't disable TB, please don't. You can reign in the cpu without hammering performance.

Lowering power limit via afterburner: Reduce the amount of heat the biggest heating element produces in the case, making it a little easier on the cpu cooler and rising case ambient temperature.
How can you force a limit on the CPU temprature?

sharon38

Prominent
Nov 13, 2021

How can you force a limit on the CPU temperature ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Lowering the cpu temperature limit is not a fix, per se. It allows the client to keep the cpu from going over their comfort zone, whatever that value may be.
2)Lowering the gpu's power limit reduces the amount of energy being released into the case. Remember, front intake airflow is already an issue; don't need to exacerbate it with higher power use. In my signature, I have a little guide that shows the client how they can apply an overclock, but then power limit it to match the performance their gpu yielded at stock. Benefit: maintain original performance, and still lower power use to boot.

3)Back in bios advanced mode > Tweaker tab, is Enhanced Multi Core Performance enabled? Set to disable it if it is; some board have that enabled by default. It auto OCs the cpu, making it run hotter for little gain.
4)Other solutions after those 2 will cost money.