Question CPU overheating

Astralv

Distinguished
Hi, friends!

I have a 2013 build with Ivy Bridge 3770K Intell i7 processor. It was used part time for audio production only few hours a week or none at all. Historically, it has unexpected shut downs with the smiling face "Computer ran in to a problem and needs to restart- we collecting information". I reinstalled Windows and thought it would fix the problem but the issue continued. One day I was told by my partner that it went in to repair loop and the issue was overheating. I didn't believe it was overheating because when I turned it on, the CPU temperature was 46C, fan on CPU (I have generic that came with the processor in the box) was spinning, there was low speed of chassis fans under 600, but I didnt think anything about it. I used "Reset Windows and keep personal files" option. It went well, booted, started updates, but when it was restarting, it went in to Manufacturer screen (before BIOS) stating that CPU overheated, press F1 for set up. I entered BIOS. The CPU temperature was 63-65 C, almost at the end of allowed spectrum. I tried to let it rest and start again and soon, it shut down again. In between it again gave me sad face error- computer ran in to a problem- something about pages in unpaged area, but then thermal failure happened again.

I urgently need to make it work- I am opening medical practice and need it to be used in the office and I have no budget to buy new desktop. Why would I have thermal issue id fan still spinning? How do I fix it? Could the thermal paste dry out? Do I need to take the fan off and buy new fan and reapply new paste? What else can cause this? I looked in BIOS CPU Tweaker- Asus premium motherboard- everything is set to Auto. Please, advise. Thank you.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
i would seriously hate to see the care provided here if it can't even afford a computer to use in the office.

Doesn't really take much to work a calendar and spreadsheet. This is a bit harsh. At our (actual) office we are still utilizing 3rd and 4th gen Optiplex. They do fine and leave no specific concern over theft which makes them attractive for our use case until later next year.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

Astralv

Distinguished
i would seriously hate to see the care provided here if it can't even afford a computer to use in the office.
Right now I am trying to make a rent while we have no patients, and it takes several months before insurance companies actually pay even if you get patients. We had many expanses before we could open up, I am just at the end of my budget. The Electronic Health Records is online, I just need to access it. Sure, I can't use computer that randomly shuts down. This particular computer used to randomly shut down during band practice or recording- give me sad face with "We ran in to a problem and need to restart- collecting data". I thought that new Windows reinstall would fix it. I also thought maybe power supply was acting out. Never saw overheating issue until recently.

Astralv

Distinguished
The computer is dusty inside, can this contribute to overheating? I also heard awful sound coming from one of chasses fan when started after several months of inactivity but it was not CPU fan. The sound resolved. The chases has 2 front fans, back fan and I think top fan. It is mid tower Thermaltake case, large.

How can I replace CPU fan? Is there a way to tell which fan would work with the motherboard? It should be Z77 Chipset. Thank you.

Is there a way to tell which fan would work with the motherboard?
should be 3 or 4 pin fan, but may be molex connected directly to the power supply.
just follow the fan's cable and see how exactly it is connected.

you can find a lot of do-it-yourself videos showing the process of replacing/cleaning the cooler and refreshing the thermal paste application.
usually pretty easy to do.

Astralv

Distinguished
should be 3 or 4 pin fan, but may be molex connected directly to the power supply.
just follow the fan's cable and see how exactly it is connected.

you can find a lot of do-it-yourself videos showing the process of replacing/cleaning the cooler and refreshing the thermal paste application.
usually pretty easy to do.
Thank you. I meant - what CPU fan- they are not all standard, they have different attachments to the motherboard depending on generation. You need to know what generation of fans is compatible with your motherboard to replace. I was considering 3rd party new fan for CPU.

You need to know what generation of fans is compatible with your motherboard to replace
and this connection is what tells you which to get;
3pin DC, 4pin PWM, or molex/SATA powered.
it is not a "generation" of fan, just a particular type.

there is no certain fan "attachment" to the motherboard.
this would be depending on the CPU cooler itself, not the fan the specific cooler is using.

if you are looking into getting a replacement cooler, that is a different product than just a fan.
for a replacement cooler you need to find a cooler that states it is compatible with this old socket, LGA1151.

Hi, friends!

I have a 2013 build with Ivy Bridge 3770K Intell i7 processor. It was used part time for audio production only few hours a week or none at all. Historically, it has unexpected shut downs with the smiling face "Computer ran in to a problem and needs to restart- we collecting information". I reinstalled Windows and thought it would fix the problem but the issue continued. One day I was told by my partner that it went in to repair loop and the issue was overheating. I didn't believe it was overheating because when I turned it on, the CPU temperature was 46C, fan on CPU (I have generic that came with the processor in the box) was spinning, there was low speed of chassis fans under 600, but I didnt think anything about it. I used "Reset Windows and keep personal files" option. It went well, booted, started updates, but when it was restarting, it went in to Manufacturer screen (before BIOS) stating that CPU overheated, press F1 for set up. I entered BIOS. The CPU temperature was 63-65 C, almost at the end of allowed spectrum. I tried to let it rest and start again and soon, it shut down again. In between it again gave me sad face error- computer ran in to a problem- something about pages in unpaged area, but then thermal failure happened again.

I urgently need to make it work- I am opening medical practice and need it to be used in the office and I have no budget to buy new desktop. Why would I have thermal issue id fan still spinning? How do I fix it? Could the thermal paste dry out? Do I need to take the fan off and buy new fan and reapply new paste? What else can cause this? I looked in BIOS CPU Tweaker- Asus premium motherboard- everything is set to Auto. Please, advise. Thank you.

these cpus are quite old and have thermal compound under the die lid instead of solder flux. it was a cost cutting measure from intel and my opinion planned obsolescence.

its either the thermal paste under the lid is bad

or the thermal paste between the cpu and cooler is bad.

you will need mx6 thermal paste / cotton buds and isopropyl alcohol or isopropyl pads.

also use a electric air duster to clean the pc take it outside on a dry day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dusters-Co...d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&psc=1

Astralv

Distinguished
and this connection is what tells you which to get;
3pin DC, 4pin PWM, or molex/SATA powered.
it is not a "generation" of fan, just a particular type.

there is no certain fan "attachment" to the motherboard.
this would be depending on the CPU cooler itself, not the fan the specific cooler is using.

if you are looking into getting a replacement cooler, that is a different product than just a fan.
for a replacement cooler you need to find a cooler that states it is compatible with this old socket, LGA1151.
Ok, I meant to say I think I may need to get replacement cooler? Back when I built it, I thought- I am not gaming, so stock air cooler that came with the processor should be good enough- after all- they tested it and should make sure it is good enough under standard load without overclocking. Do you think I need to get updated one or just try to re-attach the one it has now- the one it came with? Thank you.

Astralv

Distinguished
these cpus are quite old and have thermal compound under the die lid instead of solder flux. it was a cost cutting measure from intel and my opinion planned obsolescence.

its either the thermal paste under the lid is bad

or the thermal paste between the cpu and cooler is bad.

you will need mx6 thermal paste / cotton buds and isopropyl alcohol or isopropyl pads.

also use a electric air duster to clean the pc take it outside on a dry day.
Thank you for your reply. Are you saying- if it is thermal paste under the lid, it is absolute and can't be fixed?

I have left over from another build of

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G​

https://www.newegg.com/arctic-silver-as5-3-5g/p/N82E16835100007?Item=N82E16835100007

I bought it November 2022. Is it too old to use? Also BeQuiet Air Cooler came with thermal paste I didn't use- around the same time- you think I should get new? And it has to be mx6 thermal paste? Any specific?

When I built this computer- I was hoping I would never need to remove that cooler. But all to it is unscrew the screws, remove cooler and wipe the CPU with alcohol? Do I remove CPU to clean or do it while CPU in place? Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS