Question CPU Overheating

Oct 12, 2024
Hello all,
I been in professional IT for a bit now and just wanted some second opinions before I drop any serious cash on this issue. I have a PC with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900x CPU. A couple days ago I came home, and my PC was off. When I tried to turn it on it shuts itself back off. I opened it up and cleaned out the PC, tried a different header on the MB for the AIO, removed the cooler and reapplied thermal paste, and even flashed an updated bios.
When I get into the bios I can go to the hardware tab and see the CPU temp climbing no matter what I do. I even tried putting a standard heatsink on it and blowing compressed air directly at it but the temp keeps climbing and the highest I saw it get was 235F before shutting itself off and it does this within one minute of start up.
Anyone got any suggestions or is the CPU toast and needs to be replaced?
Thanks.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x 12 core 3.7GHz
CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken AIO
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi AM4
Ram: G.Skill Tridentz 64GB
SSD/HDD: SSD: 1TB Toshiba NVME M.2 HDD: 2 TB WesternDigital
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080
PSU: Seasonic Gold 850 (5 years old)
Chassis: NZXT H7
Monitor: 1 ASUS 1440P gaming monitor 2 Phillips 4k monitors
BIOS: Version 5.63 Released 08/24/2024
I have 4 fans not counting the one on the GPU. 2 at the front intaking and 1 at the back and 1 on top both exhausting.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have a PC with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

but the temp keeps climbing and the highest I saw it get was 235F before shutting itself off and it does this within one minute of start up.
That's 113 Deg C, that's not good, at all. Please mention the number of fans in your case and their orientation as well as your ambient room air temps.

Oct 12, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have a PC with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

but the temp keeps climbing and the highest I saw it get was 235F before shutting itself off and it does this within one minute of start up.
That's 113 Deg C, that's not good, at all. Please mention the number of fans in your case and their orientation as well as your ambient room air temps.
I have 4 fans not counting the one on the GPU. 2 at the front intaking and 1 at the back and 1 on top both exhausting. Ambient room temp is 70F. I have also updated the post to reflect the requested.

Last edited:

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
I even tried putting a standard heatsink on it
Can you be a little more precise about a "standard heatsink". Are we talking about an ordinary Aluminium heatsink with heatpipes plus a large fan? It should be sufficient to keep the CPU cool without a can of compressed air, unless you run stress tests.

Since you've updated the BIOS and I assume you're back to default settings (no PBO overclock) then I'd be inclined to fit any cheap CPU that's compatible with the mobo. Of course the CPU might be fine and the motherboard has died, but changing the CPU is a less expensive test.

A couple days ago I came home, and my PC was off.
Was the PC running a very intensive task when you were away, e.g. video rendering, or was it just sitting idle? Do you know if the pump on the Kraken is still working and there are no coolant leaks?

Oct 12, 2024
Can you be a little more precise about a "standard heatsink". Are we talking about an ordinary Aluminium heatsink with heatpipes plus a large fan? It should be sufficient to keep the CPU cool without a can of compressed air, unless you run stress tests.
Yes, I tried putting just an ordinary aluminum heatsink on there with fan to make sure it was not the AIO that was the issue and blew compressed air over it just to make sure it was getting enough airflow, but the temps climbed up just about as fast as before.
Was the PC running a very intensive task when you were away, e.g. video rendering, or was it just sitting idle? Do you know if the pump on the Kraken is still working and there are no coolant leaks?
No, the PC was just sitting idle. I have not seen any coolant leaks anywhere and the AIO is still getting power. I also switched the AIO connecter to a different fan header that I knew was good just in case the header had gone bad.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
I also switched the AIO connecter to a different fan header that I knew was good just in case the header had gone bad.
The general consensus seems to be you should connect the AIO pump to the Pump header and run the motor at full speed, i.e. permanent +12V.

The fans on the radiator should be connected to the CPU_fan header and allow the temperature of the CPU to dictate the speed of the radiator fans.

That way, the pump runs at full speed regardless of the CPU temp and the radiator fans speed up or slow down, controlled by the CPU temp.

There's nothing to stop you connecting the pump to a different header, but it might be advisable to set the pump speed to maximum, regardless of CPU temp.

Since the CPU overheats regardless of whether you use the AIO or the standard air cooler, I think it worth changing the CPU.

Oct 12, 2024
That way, the pump runs at full speed regardless of the CPU temp and the radiator fans speed up or slow down, controlled by the CPU temp.
Yeah, it was originally connected to the pump header I just swapped it to a fan header temporarily to make sure it was in fact working.
Since the CPU overheats regardless of whether you use the AIO or the standard air cooler, I think it worth changing the CPU.
I've come to the same conclusion I just wanted to make sure some others get to the same conclusion before I drop $300 on a new CPU