CPU overheats to 92C within 20 seconds of start in bios. please help!

oldnail

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
Hi i need help. My CPU is overheating as soon as i start to 92 degree celcius within 30 seconds. I got an i7-5930k hexacore with an asus x99pro usb 3.1 motherboard and a corsair hydro H110i GTX and a EVGA Supernova 1000 P2 power supply. I havent changed the bios when it first happened before but i updated it since, because i thought it might be a bug. Motherboard is at 28C and the CPU Core voltage is 0.752. I cheked the water cooler and it seems fine. I switched out thermal paste, cleaned the heatsinks and checked the mounting block. Ho estly i dont know what the problem could be but im still a big noob when it comes to computers. The pc is 6 month old and worked great until yesterday. Is there any known problem with this CPU or motherboard combination?
thanks for any answers and help, its appreciated :)

oldnail

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
thanks, you were right, the pump isnt working despite that all the lights are on. the pump shows up on corsair link but is just flatlining it. Does this mean the pump gets no electricity, because the lights on the logo are glowing fine. Any idea how to fix the pump or someone who had the same problem?

akseli

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I think so fast and high overheating indicates very poor, if any, contact between CPU heatsink and the cooler.

If only the pump would not be working at all, it would still take some time for CPU to build up heat since the CPU not only has to warm the tiny heatsink itself has, it has to heat the much bigger copper plate of the cooler. It should take some minutes even on full load and the CPU should not be on full load in bios.

Sorry, I noticed OP has had it working previously, I thought it was fresh installation. If it had worked before then yes it would sound likely the pump has failed. If the computer was previously on already when OP checked how fast it heats up to 92 degrees, then it could reach high temperatures faster with good contact between CPU and cooler coldplate.

TheloniousBreskin

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
I had this same issue with this verry processor and an aio. for some stupid reason, I plugged the pump into one of the fan hedoers that's controlled by the case. I inadvertently turned it down, so there wasn't enough Juce to pin the pump, but enough to to make the lights flash. try plugging the pump header into a different socket.