Question cpu overloading

Mar 19, 2023
Hi, my cpu is going up to 100% not matter what game i'm playing it could even be a really light game my cpu is abit old for today games so i am thinking about swiching it will it help?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Was this happening before in same light games? True, newer cpus are better equipped dealing with newer titles but this sounds more like you have either malware infection or cpu is throttling.

Pc specs, cooling and Windows?

Use Core Temp to monitor cpu temp and frequency whilst doing something that pushes cpu then proceed to remedy cooling issue if there is one.

Run Malwarebytes/ virus scans. Probably best do a full wipe and reinstall of Windows.

Fyi, depending on your system specs, if it's as old as you say then anything current will require a different motherboard and ram probably.

Mar 19, 2023
Was this happening before in same light games? True, newer cpus are better equipped dealing with newer titles but this sounds more like you have either malware infection or cpu is throttling.

Pc specs, cooling and Windows?

Use Core Temp to monitor cpu temp and frequency whilst doing something that pushes cpu then proceed to remedy cooling issue if there is one.

Run Malwarebytes/ virus scans. Probably best do a full wipe and reinstall of Windows.

Fyi, depending on your system specs, if it's as old as you say then anything current will require a different motherboard and ram probably.
i'm not completely sure if it was happening before. pc specs: gpu( rx 5500 xt) my cpu ( intel r core tm i5 7400 ) motherboard (H11M-R) i'm not sure about my PSU model but its pretty new so i think its not the problem . my cooling : i got a single fan not sure about the company i didn't really think it was a problem about reinstalling windows i already did like 2 months ago and the problem didn't go away (i got windows 10).

boju

Titan
Ambassador
i'm not completely sure if it was happening before. pc specs: gpu( rx 5500 xt) my cpu ( intel r core tm i5 7400 ) motherboard (H11M-R) i'm not sure about my PSU model but its pretty new so i think its not the problem . my cooling : i got a single fan not sure about the company i didn't really think it was a problem about reinstalling windows i already did like 2 months ago and the problem didn't go away (i got windows 10).

Seems you have no history with this build since you don't really know what it was capable of, so it's probably relatively new system to you, probably bought second hand? As said, quads are pretty much done for, at least without Hyperthreading, but not necessarily for 2010ish titles. You did say old titles though, im wondering if you're throttling still (can check this easily as I've said) or haven't done a Win reinstall at all, not reset but reinstall from usb - media creation tool.

Not knowing what the psu is is dangerous too. Being new doesn't tell the story, it could well be a fire hazard.

Sorry to be a downer but it's hard truths and if system specs is what's holding you back (still not sure about old titles factor, whether it's something else - check temps / reinstall Win) and want to improve your games specificationlly, id start researching about best things or close to it. And try get help, as in building videos etc. Possibly someone in person could help you because this will probably be leading towards a system overhaul. If you're confident doing it yourself then good, just your system is a lil too old to be compatible with modern cpus. Best you could do is a 7700k, 2nd hand, not worth the money.

Reactions: Phaaze88