Cpu package temperature getting to 97 degrees (c) on stock speeds. HALP!

HugoBruins

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
So I recently upgraded my a6 5400k to an x4 870k (870k was cheaper at that moment for some reason) but the CPU is getting to really hot temperatures at stock speeds?!

I have some money laying around, is it worthed to upgrade my stock (near silent) amd cooler to a
cooler master hyper 212x to overclock my CPU to around 4.3-4.5 GHz?!

oh and HW monitor shows 97 degrees (c) on CPU package while AIDA64 (trial) shows around 60 degrees (c) CPU temperature, wich one do I trust?!

Makentox

Estimable
Sep 24, 2016
Weird, if i check HWmonitor and AIDA show similar results. Can u post screenshots?
I would not spend money on such cheap cpu, however u can buy a good cooler that you could use for the future upgrades. So i would suggest cryorig H7, compared to 212 evo, cost 10$ more, very silent, cool better.

Yukizuna

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
May I ask what you are using to monitor temperature speeds? I would recommend AMD Overdrive to monitor.
If you are using a stock cooler, then changing to a new cooler is definitely a good choice. AMD stock coolers aren't exactly the best around.

However, keep in mind that AMDs generally have two different temperatures to consider.

Resource for your convenience: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html

Hope this helps!

Makentox

Estimable
Sep 24, 2016
Did u take picture of HWmonitor under any stress test? Cpu utilization stays low but frequency and voltage high.. Post screenshot of hwmonitor when idle. Preferably use prime95 if u have one installed.

Neither. You only use AMD Overdrive with AMD CPUs.

HugoBruins

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

I used HWmonitor and amd overdrive to confirm the right temperature.

Now I am running it at 4.2 GHz with a voltage of 1.42 V and it is going trough 10 minutes of the stability test. Sadly 4.3 GHz didn't quite get through at 1.42 V, it bluescreened after 20 seconds of stress/stability testing. Temperatures around 85 degrees here.