[SOLVED] cpu package temps

Jun 9, 2020
i have an i7 5820k 4.5ghz at 1.2v cooled by a deepcool castle 360ex
my cpu package temp is usually around 10c higher than each core at any time for example the cores will idle at 20-25c but the package temps reads around 35c. is there anywy to fix this or is it just how a 5820k behaves?

Solution
X AE A-12,

Package temperature is typically the hottest Core.

However, while Core temperatures are sampled directly and instantly from Model Specific Registers (MSR) within the processor, Package temperature is instead sampled indirectly in 256 millisecond (about 1/4th of a second) intervals from the Platform Environmental Control Interface (PECI).

This means that Core temperatures and Package temperature are measured asynchronously (different timing intervals) from different sources, so at any given moment Package temperature may or may not agree with the hottest Core. Although monitoring utilities are almost always accurate concerning Core temperatures, some motherboards may "offset" Package...
i have an i7 5820k 4.5ghz at 1.2v cooled by a deepcool castle 360ex
my cpu package temp is usually around 10c higher than each core at any time for example the cores will idle at 20-25c but the package temps reads around 35c. is there anywy to fix this or is it just how a 5820k behaves?
Nothing to fix, that's how most multicore CPUs behave, each core contributes to whole package heat.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
X AE A-12,

Package temperature is typically the hottest Core.

However, while Core temperatures are sampled directly and instantly from Model Specific Registers (MSR) within the processor, Package temperature is instead sampled indirectly in 256 millisecond (about 1/4th of a second) intervals from the Platform Environmental Control Interface (PECI).

This means that Core temperatures and Package temperature are measured asynchronously (different timing intervals) from different sources, so at any given moment Package temperature may or may not agree with the hottest Core. Although monitoring utilities are almost always accurate concerning Core temperatures, some motherboards may "offset" Package temperature, and some utilities may mislabel a sensor such as VRM (Voltage Regulator Modules) as Package temperature, which can be very misleading.

For example, since motherboard devices such as VRMs typically run warmer than the CPU Cores, and tend to fluctuate with workload similarly to one another, if VRM temperature is mislabeled as "Package" temperature, then it's easy to see how confusing temperature monitoring can become. Also, utilities may duplicate values from the same sensor, but label it under two different names, such as CPU temperature and Package temperature.

The term "CPU" temperature is often misused to describe any processor temperatures. Additionally, Package temperature can be influenced by the IGPU (Integrated Graphics Processor Unit). As you haven't mentioned a graphics card, if you are using the IGPU, it can also account for the difference between Core temperature and Package temperature, which can also vary from minimum idle to 100% workload.

Regardless, the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) that measure Core temperatures are located at the heat sources which are the transistor junctions deep within each Core where processor temperatures are highest. Accordingly, I recommend that you disregard Package temperature, which can be erroneous and misleading, and instead focus on Core temperatures.

The two utilities that are most frequently updated and most trusted for accuracy are "Core Temp", which provides basic information, and "HWiNFO" (Hardware Info), which is an advanced utility that provides very detailed information. Keep in mind not to confuse Hardware Info with Hardware Monitor, which is not often updated, nor is it known for accuracy.

CT :sol:

Solution