[SOLVED] CPU Power throttling causing huge frame stutters/drops.

Jan 29, 2022
i am wondering how i would troubleshoot power throttling. i have a i7 17700F please help!! whenever some new area is loading in or an area is slowly loading in it either drops frames really low or it completley stutters.

the games i am playing my game can handle
i7 17700F
GTX 3070
8X4 DDR4 3200mhz
x2 SSD,s

Solution
it is normal for the clock speed on non-K models to drop noticeably after a minute or two at best, as the 12700F is but a 65W TDP CPU...

As long as your mainboard's VRM circuitry is not being overwhelmed (some heat up and cause throttling), cpu temps are in check, etc., Intel's XTU will allow overriding of the boost duration limit and TDP limit (125W much better!)...
Jan 29, 2022
MSI MAG Series CORELIQUID 240R, aRGB CPU Liquid Cooler
temps never go over 65 when gaming, both ssds have 200+GB's free. in IXTU it says power throttling i don't believe it has anything to do with temperatures.

@Aidany02
The default 65W power limit used in pre-built computers does not go very far. Go in the BIOS and increase PL1 and PL2 to 300W. No more power limit throttling.

If the BIOS dies not have these settings then use Intel XTU or ThrottleStop to increase these limits.

As long as you have good cooling, it is perfectly safe to increase these power limits.

it is normal for the clock speed on non-K models to drop noticeably after a minute or two at best, as the 12700F is but a 65W TDP CPU...

As long as your mainboard's VRM circuitry is not being overwhelmed (some heat up and cause throttling), cpu temps are in check, etc., Intel's XTU will allow overriding of the boost duration limit and TDP limit (125W much better!)...

Solution