[SOLVED] CPU Query

Apr 26, 2020
I am currently running a Intel Core i7-8086k @ 4.7GHz and it has been running smoothly until a couple of days ago when i noticed a couple issues.

Originally my Wi-Fi card was dropping out completely, however after a bit of digging and monitoring of my computer temps i noticed that when this has happened my CPU clock speed went well over the 4.7GHz clock to around 5.0GHz. And as a result the temps spiked to around 90 - 95c.

Is this likely to mean my CPU has developed a fault even though it has literally happened overnight?

Any help with this is appreciated.

Solution
Could you go into bios and just lock it to 4.7ghz The max turbo is 5ghz so its maxing the cpu its not an fault also what cooler have you got with the cpu because that can be part of the temps! Or go into power settings and go into

Power Settings
Advance Settings
Chnage Power Plan
Change advance
processer performance
maximum processor
Change it to 99%

See what happens
Could you go into bios and just lock it to 4.7ghz The max turbo is 5ghz so its maxing the cpu its not an fault also what cooler have you got with the cpu because that can be part of the temps! Or go into power settings and go into

Power Settings
Advance Settings
Chnage Power Plan
Change advance
processer performance
maximum processor
Change it to 99%

See what happens

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 26, 2020
I would check the fan speeds on the cooler try changeing them to the max or could it be the paste did you put to much on or needs changing!

Just had a look at the fan speeds of the fans and they weren't really affected at all by the spike since it only lasts for a few seconds. I put a small blob of thermal paste on my CPU so i don't think that would be it and i changed the thermal paste about 3-4 weeks ago.

Apr 26, 2020
Just had a look at the fan speeds of the fans and they weren't really affected at all by the spike since it only lasts for a few seconds. I put a small blob of thermal paste on my CPU so i don't think that would be it and i changed the thermal paste about 3-4 weeks ago.

I could try reapplying a fresh layer of thermal paste. However since my cooler has been going for a good 4 years it would be a tad pointless if i end up getting a new one anyway.

I could try reapplying a fresh layer of thermal paste. However since my cooler has been going for a good 4 years it would be a tad pointless if i end up getting a new one anyway.

The only thing i got in my mind is that the water pump from your cooler is failing and that shooting up the spikes in cpu but hopefuly more people answer your question because your temps should not shoot up that temp with that cooler!