CPU & RAM Upgrade for CQ60 120ET Laptop

Warblood

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2013
Hi,

I have a Compaq CQ60 120ET laptop with a Wistron 303C mainboard (Chipset 8200M, Southbridge ID075E). The socket type is S1 (638) and currently mounts an AMD Turion X2 RM-70 CPU. I've been wanting to add RAM to the machine (currently it's 3GB DDR2 667) and if possible, to upgrade the CPU - however I'm having some trouble in finding details of the motherboard, such its FSB (it's rumored to be 800MHz, but I couldn't find a trusted source)... My questions are, can I go for DDR2 800, and if so what's the maximum module size that I can put in (will 2x4 GB work)? Also, what's the highest clock rate CPU that I can use in it?

I've recently inquired about upgrading a Clevo 571TU and it was much easier to find the PM45 mainboard specs... Up to compatible CPUs...

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Warblood

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2013

Thanks, but that's just the general specs - I was looking for information on the MB specifically - so that I can see how much of what I can put in (although the "up to 3GB" in Max RAM answers the module question - though those sometimes are dated) .

logainofhades

Titan
3gb max is how much ram total you can put in it, not the size of the module. There are no 3gb modules. The cost to switch from your current ram to ddr2 800, even if your board does support it, isn't worth what little performance boost it would give you.

Warblood

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply.

I know that there are no 3GB modules, I meant all the modules together - the max amount of memory. However, scanning from http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/HP+-+Compaq-memory/Presario+CQ60+Series/Presario+CQ60-120ET-upgrades.html gave the max memory as 4GB - which means that Compaq's website might be giving the maximum shipped memory, as the computer ships with 32bit Windows Vista (mine currently has 64bit Win 7). That's why I was looking for more information on the MB. Apart from that, I was also looking for suitable CPUs (you can usually find some nice 2nd hand ones) that are suitable - but I don't have the bus speed, so finding one will be a problem...

Warblood

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2013
I don't know much about the whole variety of CPU's available, but as far as I can tell you're right... It's not worth it. Where I am, electronics are not as cheap as they are in the US though - which sort of leaves me indecisive...

Was looking at this: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ATM+Turion+64+X2+TL-66+2.3GHz&_sacat=0&_from=R40 - not sure if it's compatible, or whether it will make much of a difference.

The thing is, I had warned them not to get the cheapest AMD they could find... Well I guess the best I can do is replace the 1GB module with a 2GB one...

Thank you for your time and your answers.

LNS-Front242-T3

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Hello Warblood - My HP/Compaq CQ60-419WM came with only 3GB's of MeM too, and I was only able to up-grade it's MeM to it's 4GB max. I just recently changed out the CPU too, from the AMD Sempron SI-42 S1 it came with to an AMD Turion X2 RM-75 S1G2. So much faster...