[SOLVED] CPU reaches 100 C degrees for a brief moment during game startup

Solution
It was the power setting in the battery options. I had it set to Best Performance, if anyone that is having this same issue with a brand new laptop, please DO NOT EVER turn your power setting to best performance in the battery settings, IT WILL MAKE YOUR PROCESSOR WORK AT MAX FREQUENCY ALL THE TIME, and will hit the max on the temps very often.

I don't think that this is something that should be recommended to everyone for every situation. For example, I have multiple laptops, 2 of which are relatively performance-centric workstation type devices and I never have this issue when I have had the performance setting in place on both.

This is likely an issue which might be specific to your situation and might...

Krasen

Honorable
Jul 18, 2015
So i got a new Lenovo Flex 15IML (2 in 1) laptop.
It has i7-10510U CPU and a Geforce MX230 GPU.

After about 2 weeks of use i am noticing it is sometimes spiking in CPU temps looking at Hardware Monitor.

Usual Gaming temps stay at about 60 C for the CPU but the temps spike sometimes when i turn the game on for the first 1-2 minutes.

The temps get to 80-90 C briefly sometimes but after several minutes of gaming they are down to a constant 60-65 C

GPU temps are fine, always at 60-70 C. ( i don't play with very high graphic settings)

So my question is this: Is this CPU temp spike normal? Can it damage my CPU after several years or is the CPU designed to work like this?

Should i just return it to the store and get another one they have in stock, or should i go for the i5-10210U version, which may not do this if it is a CPU model thing (for the temps to spike)?

Any info is appreciated!

(i don't want to open it up to repaste/check anything because i wont be able to return it and it will void warranty)

Below is a picture of temp monitor: (max temps were brief, 90+ C were for a second or two, 80-90C was for 20-30 seconds of game startup, and 70-80 was for the rest of the first 2 minutes of gameplay, then after 3-4 minutes it went down to a constant 60C.)

Fans are working i think, they are constantly blowing air i think there is no malfunction of the fans as these temps happen even if the fans are working full force.

**Edit Update: The Temps dont always go like this, at other times i start the game or do anything that requires a cpu load, they stay at constant 50-60 C. So this temp spike is not always.

wuMkE9H.png

Last edited:

Krasen

Honorable
Jul 18, 2015
WOW what a great day indeed, i figured it out. It was the power setting in the battery options. I had it set to Best Performance, if anyone that is having this same issue with a brand new laptop, please DO NOT EVER turn your power setting to best performance in the battery settings, IT WILL MAKE YOUR PROCESSOR WORK AT MAX FREQUENCY ALL THE TIME, and will hit the max on the temps very often. Turn it down to balanced or better battery life, You will still have the same performance in games , i noticed no difference with performance in games when it was switched to balanced, or better battery life, there was a slight lag on best battery life mode though. Best Performance is definitely a no-no, with a laptop at least. Its up to the GPU for games not the CPU and your CPU wont overheat like this.

Also when you have it set to Best Performance, the power options you set in the advanced settings will not even come to effect (e.g. max CPU %), they are only in effect when you set it to a lower power mode.

Now during gaming it doesn't even go higher than 65 C (CPU), which is the norm for laptops.

WOOHOOO!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It was the power setting in the battery options. I had it set to Best Performance, if anyone that is having this same issue with a brand new laptop, please DO NOT EVER turn your power setting to best performance in the battery settings, IT WILL MAKE YOUR PROCESSOR WORK AT MAX FREQUENCY ALL THE TIME, and will hit the max on the temps very often.

I don't think that this is something that should be recommended to everyone for every situation. For example, I have multiple laptops, 2 of which are relatively performance-centric workstation type devices and I never have this issue when I have had the performance setting in place on both.

This is likely an issue which might be specific to your situation and might actually be indicative of another problem if it is something which would persist if this setting remained in place.

Reactions: Krasen
Solution

Krasen

Honorable
Jul 18, 2015

This is likely an issue which might be specific to your situation and might actually be indicative of another problem if it is something which would persist if this setting remained in place.

Absolutely, take caution everyone, check your CPU temps everyone once in a while.