CPU reaching 100% usage on high end games.

daviphilip3

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019
I was wondering what I could do to lower the load on my CPU when playing high end games like Rainbow Six Seige or Battlefield V my cpu goes up and stays at 90-100% usage but the temperature only goes up to 65-72C. I have had the PC for 2 years but I just upgraded the PSU to a Corsair CX650 and Graphic Card to a RTX 2070 which runs perfect but anytime I start up applications or load into games my CPU Usage jumps up to 100% usage but then will go down to a normal usage usually 40-70 for games like Apex Legends or PUBG which when I looked up online says is normal. I still have the stock fan on the CPU and haven't messed with it at all so I'm wondering if the thermal pasting has worn out but the temperature never goes above 75C. I just ordered a Corsair H60 liquid cooling that I should get on Monday but will this solve my problem?

I also just upgraded my BIOS to the latest version after 2 years of not messing with it but that didn't change anything.

PC Specs:
Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Black Edition
16 GB Ram
144 hz monitor

Also additional information I run Core Temp and all cores are reaching 90-100% usage when playing high end games and when on idle and no applications running I have 5% or less usage.

I think there's a good chance this is normal....especially on 144 Hz and if you're playing on ultra.
The RTX 2070 is actually faster than a GTX 1080 Ti.....and it requires a powerful CPU.
I think the i7-7700 may just not be up to it in certain cases.
I think your temps are fine.
I wouldn't touch the thermal paste.

daviphilip3

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019

I'm not even playing the games on ultra settings I like my FPS so everything is lowered in settings but I still get 90-100% cpu usage but for games like Apex Legends I get 60-70% usage.

daviphilip3

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019

No my FPS is pretty good in all my games and I never notice any performance issues.

daviphilip3

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019

So is it normal for my CPU to be reaching 90-100% on high end games even though I don't play on Ultra settings and will liquid cooling help at all?

daviphilip3

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019

Well the Liquid Cooling is for the summer because my room gets very hot where I'm at now and I'm going to have a fan for myself but I don't want my PC getting hot so the temps will go up on my cpu.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Some games are just cpu hogs plus added to the load is your frame rates. More fps the gpu does the more fps cpu needs to get ready. In games like BF5 with so much going on can easily see high cpu usages even on an 8700k as well.

If you're not getting stutters i wouldn't worry about it. But things you can try is limit background running apps or if you need some of them like Discord or Afterburner, move them using affinity to the last core to free up the primary core as much as possible. The primary core does the most work so if it is overwhelmed it can bring the other cores/threads down.

Or increase graphics so fps isn't as high.

These days with high refresh rates and big games, high clocks and speedy ipc is important.