[SOLVED] CPU Red Light + Blue Screen. Am I missing the obvious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lepushominis

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Hi,

I built a new system recently, and had been using it for a couple of days (light use), and all of a sudden mid-way through a random youtube video the PC powered off, and now bluescreens every time I turn it on.
Without changing anything physically to the PC, it seemed to go from completely okay and working to then being completely broken! Each bluescreen gives different messages, and often it doesn't reach the blue screen. It always powers off upon a red light for CPU. It also gives an amber light for DRAM, but that doesn't seem to be the main issue.

I've looked at many threads on similar issues, so I've updated the BIOS to the latest version, messed around with XMP/DOCP settings, reseated the CPU (with new paste), reseated the ram (many times) and checking they were in correct slots, made sure every PSU cable was plugged in correctly. I'm at a loss at this point!

I'm not very experienced building PCs from scratch, so I was wondering if I was missing something obvious? What can I do?

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock 4
Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 1080 ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz
PSU: Corsair RM650 650 watt gold plus
Storage: Samsung 870 QVO 1TB

Solution
Hi,

I built a new system recently, and had been using it for a couple of days (light use), and all of a sudden mid-way through a random youtube video the PC powered off, and now bluescreens every time I turn it on.
Without changing anything physically to the PC, it seemed to go from completely okay and working to then being completely broken! Each bluescreen gives different messages, and often it doesn't reach the blue screen. It always powers off upon a red light for CPU. It also gives an amber light for DRAM, but that doesn't seem to be the main issue.

I've looked at many threads on similar issues, so I've updated the BIOS to the latest version, messed around with XMP/DOCP settings, reseated the CPU (with new paste), reseated...
Hi,

I've looked at many threads on similar issues, so I've updated the BIOS to the latest version, messed around with XMP/DOCP settings, reseated the CPU (with new paste), reseated the ram (many times) and checking they were in correct slots, made sure every PSU cable was plugged in correctly. I'm at a loss at this point!

I'm not very experienced building PCs from scratch, so I was wondering if I was missing something obvious? What can I do?

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock 4
Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 1080 ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz
PSU: Corsair RM650 650 watt gold plus
Storage: Samsung 870 QVO 1TB
Could you try to take off all part then do a bios flashback using bios 4021? Agesa 1.2.0.4 and above does have some problems, not sure for 1.2.0.7 coming on may this year.

this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

and the chipset driver/software in control panel (if there is none just skip)

• restart the pc to bios, flash your mobo bios to 4021. if you cant access to bios, take off cpu, ram, and motherboard, then perform a bios flashback using bios 4021.

• after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, find AMD SVM and IOMMU options, enable them (if the option is only auto and disable, just leave it auto), set your XMP/Manual OC and PBO/XFR back then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be 3.10.22), reboot, and then connect to internet.

• Install the latest gpu driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).
  • Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Solution

lepushominis

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Could you try to take off all part then do a bios flashback using bios 4021? Agesa 1.2.0.4 and above does have some problems, not sure for 1.2.0.7 coming on may this year.

this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

and the chipset driver/software in control panel (if there is none just skip)

• restart the pc to bios, flash your mobo bios to 4021. if you cant access to bios, take off cpu, ram, and motherboard, then perform a bios flashback using bios 4021.

• after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, find AMD SVM and IOMMU options, enable them (if the option is only auto and disable, just leave it auto), set your XMP/Manual OC and PBO/XFR back then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be 3.10.22), reboot, and then connect to internet.

• Install the latest gpu driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).
  • Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
I tried as many steps of this as I could, however I never make it into Windows anyway, so I can't do stuff like uninstalling processors and updating drivers.

I made sure about the ram slots, as well as trying with single sticks of RAM, and changing XMP settings. I also tried changing BIOS to see if that was the issue, neither seemed to change anything. Also checked the PSU cables to the GPU and all seems correct and fine

lepushominis

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
I read on another forum that it could be related to the Heatsink on the CPU being screwed in too hard, could this be a genuine concern? I did screw my CPU cooler in pretty tight, although I've just loosened it and nothing changed.

Also I've written down a couple of the error codes I get on the bluescreen, in case that is useful information. Usually, however, the PC never reaches the Blue screen, and turns off with an amber DRAM light and red CPU light long before it gets there.

Error Codes:
Kmode_exception_not_handled
System_Thread_exception_not_handled

lepushominis

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Update: I tried plugging the Power cable directly into the wall, as opposed to the extension cable, and its having slightly better results. Still crashes/restarts/blue screens, but I'm getting further now. One time I even got to the windows login page.

Does this mean that the power is the issue?

lepushominis

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
In that case, considering you get different BSOD each time, most likely suspects are RAM and Samsung drive (or just its SATA cable).
Interesting stuff! First I tried plugging in a USB and booting from that - same issue. Then I tried unplugging both SATA cables from the motherboard, and hey it booted to the USB drive fine!

Although if I plug in either drive the PC crashes.

lepushominis

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Can you check the drive in another PC? What you mean both cables - SATA and power, or do you have two drives?
There is two SSDs connected - an older 500GB "WD Blue 3D Nand SSD", as well as a brand new "Samsung 870 QVO 1TB".

The OS is installed on the 500gb SSD, and the 1TB I had installed some games on. This was working fine for a few days, until it randomly turned off and been broken since

Unfortunately I haven't got another PC to test it in, but the 500GB WD blue drive was working fine in my old PC until I gutted it last week.

Ok, now I have a whole picture. So the USB stick will not boot properly if any of the drives is connected, right? Let's reduce the amount of unknowns - for now completely unplug Samsung. With only boot drive connected it still bluescreen, correct? Connect different power plug to it (one that has not been used by any drive). Connect different SATA cable. Connect SATA cable to different SATA port on motherboard. Does any of the above actions changes anything?

lepushominis

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Ok, now I have a whole picture. So the USB stick will not boot properly if any of the drives is connected, right? Let's reduce the amount of unknowns - for now completely unplug Samsung. With only boot drive connected it still bluescreen, correct? Connect different power plug to it (one that has not been used by any drive). Connect different SATA cable. Connect SATA cable to different SATA port on motherboard. Does any of the above actions changes anything?
Just spent the last couple of hours trying practically every variation of SATA cables and drives that I can.

I tried changing slots on the motherboard, tried switching over the drives between sata cables, tried using only 1 of the SSDs at a time. Nothing! I also have a new 2TB HDD, which I plugged in to get the same result.

The only time it seems to be able to consistently boot is when it boots to the USB. Although it is unable to boot to USB with any of the SATA cables plugged in.

I appreciate the help so far, its been helpful, even if no fix has been found yet

lepushominis

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Just spent the last couple of hours trying practically every variation of SATA cables and drives that I can.

I tried changing slots on the motherboard, tried switching over the drives between sata cables, tried using only 1 of the SSDs at a time. Nothing! I also have a new 2TB HDD, which I plugged in to get the same result.

The only time it seems to be able to consistently boot is when it boots to the USB. Although it is unable to boot to USB with any of the SATA cables plugged in.

I appreciate the help so far, its been helpful, even if no fix has been found yet
*Also tried different variations of power cables to the drives. Same result.

We are progressing though. As is happens with three different drives it is highly unlikely to be drive problem. Or the cable problem. This means the problem lies in either motherboard or PSU. No way to directly check motherboard. Can you acquire another PSU for a test?

lepushominis

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
We are progressing though. As is happens with three different drives it is highly unlikely to be drive problem. Or the cable problem. This means the problem lies in either motherboard or PSU. No way to directly check motherboard. Can you acquire another PSU for a test?
Hm, I don't have access to another PSU, though I could return this one back to Amazon and exchange it for either a new identical one, or a different similar option

Hm, I don't have access to another PSU, though I could return this one back to Amazon and exchange it for either a new identical one, or a different similar option
Not worth doing that. Prime suspect here is motherboard. Your PSU is good quality and I doubt it would fail so quickly, plus the fact that the system would work in BIOS indefinitely means it would have to be really really weird PSU failure. If I were in such situation I would start with returning motherboard first.

lepushominis

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Not worth doing that. Prime suspect here is motherboard. Your PSU is good quality and I doubt it would fail so quickly, plus the fact that the system would work in BIOS indefinitely means it would have to be really really weird PSU failure. If I were in such situation I would start with returning motherboard first.
Could it be my motherboard is seated in the case in a slightly incorrect way? Or is it not worth worrying about that kind of stuff, and just returning it and getting a new one straight away?

lepushominis

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Well, it was working fine before, so unless you did something like kicking the case hard in meantime that should be not an option.
Nope, no kicking. That's what I found so irritating - it was working perfectly well for a couple of days and just so inexplicably stopped working. No reason for it!

I'll see if I can send back the motherboard and exchange it for a identical one, and update the thread once I've tried that. Thanks for the help so far

Reactions: DRagor

lepushominis

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Well, it was working fine before, so unless you did something like kicking the case hard in meantime that should be not an option.
I'm back! Bad news I'm afraid, returned and replaced the motherboard and still exact same issue. I even tried moving around the drives again - no change! This build is going to be the death of me I swear. 😭

Any other ideas of what I could do at this point? I'm starting to wonder if I should just return a bunch of the parts and replace them with slightly different components, in case something is not compatible or not working correctly.

I'm back! Bad news I'm afraid, returned and replaced the motherboard and still exact same issue.
Same model as before or different? Although it should not make any difference but just to make sure ...
Any other ideas of what I could do at this point?
Well, the next suspect in line is PSU. Or specifically its SATA cable (or the port you plug it in), because the rest of it seems to be working just fine. Maybe that's a little late question, but do you have any device that has SATA power cable input? Like fan hub/controller? Anything you could connect to PSU with SATA connector and see if it creates exactly same problem as drives.

lepushominis

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Same model as before or different? Although it should not make any difference but just to make sure ...

Exact same model!

Well, the next suspect in line is PSU. Or specifically its SATA cable (or the port you plug it in), because the rest of it seems to be working just fine. Maybe that's a little late question, but do you have any device that has SATA power cable input? Like fan hub/controller? Anything you could connect to PSU with SATA connector and see if it creates exactly same problem as drives.

I doubt its the SATA cable/port, because the PSU has two different ports and cables, and trying either cable/port didn't change anything. Unfortunately I don't have anything else to plug the SATA cables into, so I guess I'll try replacing the PSU and pray that's the problem.

Do you think I should replace the PSU with the exact same model, or return it and get something slightly different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS