Question CPU Red Light On Still

Mar 26, 2022
Howdy Folks. Been dealing with this problem for 3 weeks now- gave in and handed it to Geek Squad- they said basically to just buy a new CPU and see how that works- light still on. Not pulling up bios at all still.

Yes Ram Is Seated properly.
Yes the CPU mobo pins are all good.
Yes the CPU is seated properly.
Yes the CPU Fan is plugged in.

I've also tried reseating literally everything still nothing. Tried moving ram around as well.

Current Relevant Specs:
Mobo: B550 Aorus Pro V2 (brand new)
CPU: Ryzen 5600x (brand new)
GPU: RTX 3070 Ti

I'm just lost man, I just wanna play haha. :(

If anyone has any insight that I may have not thought about that would much appreciated as I'm just so defeated at this point.

The 5600X requires at least the F10 BIOS version for the mainboard to function, although there were later BIOS versions F13 and F14 to support 5700G and 5700X (and others), respectively.

The trick will be making sure you have at least F10, and not the initial shipping BIOS of F1, which did not support any 5000 series CPUs..

Your mainboard's specs say it supports updating BIOS without CPU installed...; try that!

Reactions: Corgen
Mar 26, 2022
Mar 26, 2022
The 5600X requires at least the F10 BIOS version for the mainboard to function, although there were later BIOS versions F13 and F14 to support 5700G and 5700X (and others), respectively.

The trick will be making sure you have at least F10, and not the initial shipping BIOS of F1, which did not support any 5000 series CPUs..

Your mainboard's specs say it supports updating BIOS without CPU installed...; try that!
Trying to q flash update my bios right now, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'm still pretty new to PC building.

Mar 26, 2022

So as an update, I tried to q flash after downloading the latest bios for my mobo onto a USB 2.0 drive. I put it into the bios USB port and q flashed it.

It flashed the bios light for about a minute or two, before going solid and the rest of the computer parts turn on. And then the bios light turns off.

It's been over 20 minutes now and it still hasnt turned off the PC.

Is this normal? Or?

So as an update, I tried to q flash after downloading the latest bios for my mobo onto a USB 2.0 drive. I put it into the bios USB port and q flashed it.

It flashed the bios light for about a minute or two, before going solid and the rest of the computer parts turn on. And then the bios light turns off.

Is this normal? Or?
Do you have an update, did it manage to flash successfully?

Is this normal? Or?
Hopefully the BIOS flash directions/procedures provided would provide some indication of how long the process would take and, hopefully what indications (lights, indicators) would occur if successful; I'd not necessarily expect a hard power off if procedure successful unless directions specifically said so.

(I'd not think a few MB file would take much longer than a few minutes...; certainly 20 min should have been enough)

(Was your CPU actually removed during the process? I've heard it said that might be actually needed with some of the 'no cpu needed- BIOS flash' models...?)

Reactions: Corgen and kurdtnz
Mar 26, 2022
Hopefully the BIOS flash directions/procedures provided would provide some indication of how long the process would take and, hopefully what indications (lights, indicators) would occur if successful; I'd not necessarily expect a hard power off if procedure successful unless directions specifically said so.

(I'd not think a few MB file would take much longer than a few minutes...; certainly 20 min should have been enough)

(Was your CPU actually removed during the process? I've heard it said that might be actually needed with some of the 'no cpu needed- BIOS flash' models...?)
Okay so here's the update so far for today! I have updated the bios via qflash. The CPU Red light is still on.

I'm about to just commit die istg