Question CPU refuses to run at boost clock speed what can I do?

Feb 4, 2024
For reference I have a I7-9700K (which is on its way out)

The other days I was getting very low frames while playing rainbow six, so I opened my task manager and saw my CPU was running a 3.6ghz and not boost clocking to 4.6 like it should.

My first thought was to overclock but no matter what I did even only overclocking to 4.8ghz my system would keep crashing. Even if I increase the voltage little by little It was never stable and eventually I could not increase the voltage any more due to temperature issues.

I then reseset my bios to default and when I loaded up PC it said my cpu was now running at 4.59ghz, but no matter what after 1 hour of playing 3 different games my whole pc would freeze and I had to hold the power button down and reboot.

My question is, I cannot afford a new CPU at the momment (assuming this is a cpu issue) so is there anything I can do to make it run just for now, I am really wondering why it capped itself at 3.6ghz in order to run.
Qucking side notes, my CPU has had high usage issues for months and does not let me do basic thing while playing games or my fps begins to tank and game begins to stutter
I also am going to attach pictures in the comments of my task manager, cpu temps, and some other information (sorry for the bad quality I took them from my phone after my pc froze).

View: https://imgur.com/a/yLlcIwI

System specs-
Intel I7-9700k
MSI RTX 3060ti
Asus Prime Z370 A-II
EVGA 650W gold PSU
Corsair ddr 4 3600 ram 32GB
Windows 11

Do you need a BIOS update which "might" increase stability ?
Suggest you set XMP ON in the BIOS and dont try to tinker with manual settings.

I would run UserBenchMark and post a link to the results.
It's helpful to the community to see how your system is performing against same spec rigs worldwide.
Although some people here consider it to be psuedo science, I regard it as an easy step to document your components as configured and running in your system which may show up some obvious problems.

Feb 4, 2024
Do you need a BIOS update which "might" increase stability ?
Suggest you set XMP ON in the BIOS and dont try to tinker with manual settings.

I would run UserBenchMark and post a link to the results.
It's helpful to the community to see how your system is performing against same spec rigs worldwide.
Although some people here consider it to be psuedo science, I regard it as an easy step to document your components as configured and running in your system which may show up some obvious problems.

The bios is up to date and, the only thing I changed after resetting the bios to default was the xmp setting. This is my userbenchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67193711 Thanks for the help!

Feb 4, 2024
Your system drive is low on space
Hi, sorry for the late response I reinstalled windows and wiped the drive, and now my CPU usage is way down, while playing the same rainbow six game my CPU is only at 50-60 percent usage now unlike the 90-100 before. The low storage was indeed the issue. However I have new issue, before when running the same in-game benchmark my CPU would hit 90-100 usage with my GPU usage being at 96-100 percent and I would get a constant number of frames (with G-Sync). Now my CPU usage is way down but my GPU only runs at 78-80 percent with random jumps to 100 and my fps is no longer locked like it was before I have constant drops in fps. What can I do to make my GPU run at near 100 like it was before?

Things I have done: updated drivers, and changed windows power plan.
I am running the game at 1440p @240hz for reference.

Thanks so much for the help the original issue was solved!

If its an entirely different problem now, you would be best advised to post a new thread together with a new UserBenchMark link so others can see your performance as is in the new build.
Consider marking my post as the solution so I get the kudos

Last edited: