[SOLVED] CPU reverting to stock frequency after a while

Aug 23, 2020
Hello,

I've purchased a Ryzen 5 1600 AF in Spring and everything's been alright until today. Essentially, today I overclocked it to 4GHz at 1.265V and it passed all tests and benchmarks I threw at it. After all these tests (P95, AIDA, Cinebench), however, it simply reverted to its base clock (3.20GHz) even though the 'base speed' under task manager was at 4.00. I restarted it & the problem seemed to have been gone - for only a few minutes, unfortunately. So, 10-or-so minutes after the restart, it reverted yet again to the 3.20 - and it would hover between 3.20-3.10GHz but not above or below those numbers. The problem looked strange and I then went to reset the BIOS to its defaults - but to no avail. Now I boot up the PC, do a run of Cinebench R20 multithread & it gets around 2750 at 3.60GHz, the CPU's rated boost clock. Second run? It reverts to 3.20GHz and refuses to go past that, giving me a puny 2100 points this time around. Aside from that, what I also tried to do involved changing the Windows power plans & power modes, and no matter what minumum processor frequency I set, it isn't met by the CPU for whatever reason - however, in the first few minutes after booting (so when it actually manages to uphold that boost clock for a couple of minutes until it reverts to the base speed) those settings are respected. I also reset the power plans & reinstalled the chipset drivers, but all to no avail. I've heard that this might be a CMOS battery issue, but it's especially strange as my problem occurs a couple of minutes after the boot, not before it. This issue is very frustrating and it's infuriating me. I would greatly appreciate any help you guys could offer. Thank you!

Solution
Managed to fix it for now - but not only, I hope - by using 'Better performance' under Power mode & restoring default settings for the Balanced plan under Power options & then using that. If the problem comes back, I will too.
Aug 23, 2020
Managed to fix it for now - but not only, I hope - by using 'Better performance' under Power mode & restoring default settings for the Balanced plan under Power options & then using that. If the problem comes back, I will too.

Solution