CPU running a bit hot...

Lateralus655

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Hey all i built a rig back in august 2016. I have been running into a bit overheating lately reaching 84C non overclocked. I tried re applying thermal paste even got a new paste from phanteks and reapplied the new stuff tonight under full load it reached 84C. The room temp is around 80F I have 2 120mm intake fans in the front and one in the rear as exhaust. I can't really add any fans to the chassis without replacing the CPU cooler. My build is pretty much this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WqcxQV

Solution
Why would you run a norton scan at the same time as playing Overwatch? To stress the CPU purposely?

There may be a cooler that will perform better for you now, but if you upgrade the case later there are better options again, so you might want/have to upgrade the cooler again. It depends what cooler you were considering putting in the case right now.

The room temp is fairly warm and surely affecting your case and CPU temps but I think we need to get a better look at how your system is set up and running. Prolonged temperatures that high will slowly degrade the CPU more quickly than if the temps were kept lower. So yes, those temps aren't ideal.

Do you have the program HWiNFO? If not can you install it and then post some screenshots...
Did you try to monitor the CPU temps on BIOS?
Sometimes hardware monitoring software doesn't give accurate information and needs to be calibrated.
And if you reached that temperature, most likely your PC will shut down itself to prevent damage or burning your CPU.

alth0triplemadang is incorrect. BIOS is not the best place to monitor temperatures because many power saving features are disabled there, and you're unable to see temps when it's most important - under load. Additionally, your CPU will not shut off at 84c; Intel validates these CPUs to run safely at stock speeds up to 100c, and they only throttle at that point to preserve reliability. Shutdown happens at 130c. Not that I'm advising you leave it alone. 84c is pretty warm and you have zero overclocking headroom with those temperatures - you're just not in any immediate risk.

Is the air coming out of your case hot? Does the heatsink get very hot to touch?

Lateralus655

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
The air coming out of the exhaust is a bit warm while gaming with overwatch that's when it hits the 70s. To do stress test I run a norton scan while playing overwatch and I hit 100% load running both together that's when it hits 84. Running norton alone hits the high 70s sometimes a 80. When just scanning the air is pretty cool coming out of the PC

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
80F is a pretty warm room temperature so your internal case temperature will also be quite warm adding to CPU temperature. You would benefit from two fans at the top of the case as exhaust if you haven't already? This will help remove more CPU/case heat.

The i7 6700K is a powerful CPU and needs some serious cooling. I've looked at benchmarks for the Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK and what your experiencing could be quite normal especially considering the quite high room temperature.

Are you running the Phanteks fans at full speed while gaming etc? What are temps like later at night or early morning?

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/59957-phanteks-ph-tc14pe-ph-tc12dx-coolers-review-6.html

Lateralus655

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Unfortunately it stays about 80F in the summer all the time in order to get 2 exhaust fans up top I would have to replace the cooler with a low profile one I was looking to get the Noctua L-Type Premium Quiet CPU Cooler_ Retail Cooling NH-L9x65 and then install 2 top exhaust fans as well. I messed with the BIOS fan speeds and put the fans at 100% at around 50C it helped a bit

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Why won't two exhaust fans go up top with the Phanteks? Does the heatsink clash? What about just one top fan?

Is 50C what you are getting with 100% fan speed or is it set to do a 100% at 50C?

Lateralus655

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Unfortunately how the chassis is set up the heat sink blocks where both top fans would go that's why I was looking at getting the nactuna if I get that heat sink I'd have enough room to put two top fans. I set the BIOS so when it reaches 50C to spin the fans up to 100% it's helped a bit.

Yes, there are tons of better coolers, but be aware that what makes one cooler better than another is mostly size - bigger coolers are better than smaller ones. So either you have a low profile, high clearance cooler with low surface area, or you have a big cooler that performs better.

A favorite on here is the Cryorig H7 - it has good clearance and isn't as tall as some tower coolers, but it's definitely not "low profile". Noctua and Cryorig both have some decent low profile options but they perform worse and cost more.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Does the manual for the case give any indication of the size coolers/clearance needed?

This case review shows a 152mm Zalman cooler being used, but I still the think the manual should give some indication of what coolers can and can't be used...

http://illgaming.net/corsair-carbide-spec-01-review/

Lateralus655

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Thanks everyone for the help btw :) going to check those links. I was looking at the temps of the memory, main board, hard drives they all sit at 30-34C so I don't think there's a big heat buildup issue. I was looking for a low profile cooler to add two top fans but I don't think I need it since everything sits at the 30s right?

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
If the room temperature is 80F, 30-34C sounds about normal for idle internal case temperature. Because you don't have much in the way of exhaust fans I think the GPU and CPU are building up a lot of heat inside the case when under load, i.e. gaming, stress test etc. This could be adding to the temperature of the CPU. The Phanteks you have is within the 157mm limit for the case, so you should be able to get the two fans up top??

I really think you need those two fans up the top exhausting, you may want to replace the front fans with 140mm fans to get more cool air flow also.

Your idle case temperatures are fine but we need to know what the CPU temperature is doing under load, it's still reaching 80C right? I personally think you would benefit from as big a heatsink as you can fit, you have a powerful CPU and need adequate cooling.

Your right that site doesn't list 1151 compatible coolers. You might have to look around for coolers of those same brands in 1151. Something like the Noctua NH-C14 might work well.

Lateralus655

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I think I can fit 1 exhaust fan up too in one slot but the other slot looks like it would clash with the heat sink. I was thinking would it be best to get the 2 140mm fans up front and try to install the 1 top exhaust fan before looking for a new heat sink? What's some good high end quiet 140mm fans?

On 100% load it peaked to 87

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
A new case could be worth considering as the Corsair SPEC-02 isn't really a high air flow case and doesn't allow for the bigger coolers. Considering you have a top end CPU which is power hungry it needs beefy cooling. The rest of your components are also high end that benefit from high air flow.

Regarding the top fans, if your comfortable removing and reinstalling the heatsink I would try putting the two top fans in and then seeing if the cooler fits back in. Seen it's within the maximum size it should fit back in. Obviously you won't get the fan in there with the heatsink still in place.

I have two Noctua NF P14s redux as my front intake fans and they are great, so quiet and I haven't had any mechanical noise to date, they're really good quality.

http://noctua.at/en/products/product-line-redux/nf-p14s-redux-1200-pwm

For my top two exhaust fans I have Corsair AF140's and they are good also, very quiet, but I had to send one back for replacement due to a ticking noise. I think the Noctua are probably better but these would be good for the exhaust fans. The AF120 is also available:

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/air-series-af120-performance-edition-high-airflow-120mm-fan

Remember to install the fans in the right direction you require the air flow!