CPU Running at 100% don't know if its a game or CPU issue

Jan 13, 2019
Hey, so I usually run GTA at 80% or so, then Fortnite at 40 or 50% (these are full CPU totals in task manager). Yesterday I ran Fortnite and I got some lag, so I checked task manager and it was making my CPU go at 100%. I ran GTA later and it was at 90%. I did a computer scan and it said nothing bad was found. Can you help me figure out if this is a game or CPU issue? Thanks!

Specs:
i5-6600K CPU
RX 480 strix GPU
Asus z-170e MOBO
16 GBs of RAM.

Please let me know if anything else is needed. Thanks!

Solution
Thats about right, there's nothing really wrong here. Being a 4 core cpu, can't have too many things running at the same time, it all adds up. Be a different story on an 6700k.

Jan 12, 2019
This sounds exactly like what I experienced when my NZXT water cooler started leaking.

Setup graphing for your CPU temps (this is a built in option for windows 7, just do a search. Not sure about windows 10 as they want you to buy everything that should normally come with the OS)

Even with air cooling, you may have a bad fan or excessive dust buildup.

In my case it rapidly got to the point that the CPU would stay pegged at 100% on just the home screen before crashing. Turns out all the coolant leaked from the crappy radiator the use on the NZXT kraken radiators.

Jan 13, 2019
I don't think cooling is the problem, I just checked and the temp went at max 50 C when I loaded up then went to 40%.
I use an H100iV2 from Corsair, which is a water cooler.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Check for other processes in task manager before loading a game. If your cpu usages were fine before then there could be something else taking cpu resources away and loading a game just further adds more. Whats the cpu usage like on idle?

In task manager click cpu or memory header to assort that column highest to lowest % so the largest using processes are brought to top.

In msconfig (type msconfig in task bar) and click startup tab. Here are your startup items, can uncheck or check anytime so when windows boots it wont load whichever you unselected. Usually basic items is fine like audio/usb etc but if there's a program you installed lately try uncheck it or other startup items that may look odd.

If any process or startup item you see you're not sure about, search about it on the net.

Jan 13, 2019
I don't think I have anything bad for startup.
Here is a list:
Discord
DT_Startup
EpicGamesLauncher
ESET Command Line Interface (Security)
Google Update Core
iCUE
Java Update Scheduler
Microsoft OneDrive
Pivot Software Support
pximouse
Razer things
Realtek Audio Manager
Spotify
Steam
Widows Security Notifications
Wondershare Studio

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Startup items are the applications that launch and run in the background when windows loads. Not all of them would be hogging recourses id imagine but some of them might be hense your 25% idle usage.

So check task manager under cpu column, assort to highest by clicking cpu so the processes using the most is assorted to the top of the list so you can see them better.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Nor would it, you don't have temperature issues. What ever is using cpu is to do with software thats installed. Need to isolate what that is.

With the startup items, de-select them all and see if cpu idle usage improves.

Which ever process is using the cpu will show up in task manager. Take more notice of it.