CPU running at 100% no matter what applications are open

May 6, 2018
So I have an Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @3.40GHz, and it seems that no matter what application(s) i'm running, my CPU is at 100%. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe task manager should be using that much of my CPU, but I don't know, which is why I'm here. I only have one 4GB stick of RAM at the moment, I'm usually running two, but I just recently was having issues with the second stick. Also, I have a nvidia GTX 970 ftw, I figured I'd put that out there before anyone feels the need to ask for it.

May 6, 2018

Any and every application, mostly Google Chrome because that's what I'm using to look up information about this, but when I open task manager, which I just did to check the numbers, it said task manager was using 60% at first, then jumped to 90%, now it says Google Chrome is using 80% task manager is jumping around 20%, Microsoft software protection platform service is around the same, they keep switching back and forth alongside, Antimalware service executable. This sucks.

May 6, 2018

Can I install and run that while also having Windows defender, or do I have to get rid of it first? I just read that you aren't supposed to have more than one antivirus program at a time.

MBAM, since it installs in full active mode for the duration of the 2 week trial, might disable Defender, but, you can turn Defender back on later....; after the trial is over, it falls back to an 'on demand' only scanner, but is still effective at detection/.removal when tasked...

May 6, 2018

I was looking through task manager, and under the details tab I noticed that System Idle Process is using 92-99 percent of my CPU, and in the discription it says, Percentage of time the processor is idle, so I'm guessing that it's just showing me that 99% of my CPU is in idle. As soon as I started up a game, it dropped down to 40 something percent and the game was using around the same percentage.

May 6, 2018
Okay, so I just made sure I have the latest updates, and they are finished installing. It's not an issue with running games. When I close everything and open task manager, it says task manager is using anywhere from 40%-70% of my CPU, then there's a few misc things using the rest, Desktop Window Manager uses around 15%-20%, but if I click on the Details tab, it says, System Idle Process is using 98% of my CPU, while task manager is at 00-01. Now that I've opened up Google Chrome, under the Processes tab it says, Chrome is using 50%-80%, while the rest is being used up by a couple other things that keep changing percentage, but if I click on the Details tab, once again it says, System Idle Process is using 98% of my CPU, while Chrome is at 01-02.

May 6, 2018

If it's not one task running 50%-90% of my CPU, it's another, but like I said before, when I click on the Details tab, it says otherwise so I'm confused.

did you run MBAM? Defender scan show clean?

Can you get a screen shot of task manager/processes, sorted by cpu usage from top to bottom? (If usage drops exactly when task manager is opened, that is often a symptom of malware activity)

Certainly anything over 2-3% cpu usage when nothing is running is not normal, and, 50% is bizarre.

Try running ultraviruskiller portable, select 'Process Manager'' and note all entries annotated with signatures, Virus Total summaries, etc....; from there, you can right click on any suspect process, suspend/terminate, jump to it's location, etc...or you can elect to 'kill all processes' at the top m which will terminate every non-essential process, i.e., all those not necessary to WIndows...

Select the 'UVK Portable EXE option' near the bottom of the page...
http://www.carifred.com/uvk/

May 6, 2018

I'm not entirely comfortable downloading random stuff, especially since I don't exactly know what the problem is.
Let me give you an example; I started playing a game, Fallout New Vegas, and under the details tab in task manager, where you can find System Idle process, it said System Idle process was using 62% of the CPU, 23% was being used by the game FNV, and 13% was being used by an ENBInjector I run alongside the game. Well, when I clicked on the processes tab, it said the ENBInjector was using 92.9% of my CPU and my CPU was at 100%. If I'm using Google Chrome, under the processes tab it says it's using anywhere for 60 to 90% of the CPU but when I click on the details tab System Idle process is at 99 and Google Chrome is at 01. It does the same thing with task manager but there's no way task manager is occupying 90% of my CPU..