[SOLVED] CPU running at 100 when it doesn’t add up

Zencxal

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
My computer is running awkwardly I would say. i open task manager and it’s atleast idling at 20% usage, when there’s nothing running to make it idle at 20%. only some applications using 0-1%. then when I play games like MW or something, it’ll run at 100% when the game is only using 80% and nothing else is using cpu. the cpu I have is an i5-9400F btw.

Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full.

Yes: use Task Manager to observe system performance. Also Use Resource Monitor - use only one tool or the other. Not both at the same time.

And remember that you can sort the results of Task Manager by clicking the small up or down pointing arrow in the column headers. Place and hold the mouse cursor in the column header. The header should change color and the arrow becomes visible.

= = = =

Another tool that can prove useful is Microsoft's Process Explorer. Free from Microsoft...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full.

Yes: use Task Manager to observe system performance. Also Use Resource Monitor - use only one tool or the other. Not both at the same time.

And remember that you can sort the results of Task Manager by clicking the small up or down pointing arrow in the column headers. Place and hold the mouse cursor in the column header. The header should change color and the arrow becomes visible.

= = = =

Another tool that can prove useful is Microsoft's Process Explorer. Free from Microsoft.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Discover what else may be running in the background.

Solution