[SOLVED] CPU running at 4.20+GHz when not OC'd

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020
So I just finished building my PC and I open up task manager to find that my Ryzen 7 3700x is running at 4.2GHz and over when I never OC'd it. I downloaded core temp and my cpu is 40-70 degrees idle. I have a MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus. Please help.

Solution
As long as it is staying in the 70's when loaded you are fine.
I suggest you play a few games or do some work that is typical for you and see what the CPU temps are.

My 3700x is usually around 60-65C when playing new AAA games.
I also encode videos fairly regularly and even then it tends to stay around 65-70C.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
First do NOT use Core Temp, Only Ryzen Master and HWInfo accurately display Ryzen sensor info (Temps, voltage, etc.).

Have you installed the AMD B550 Chipset drivers from here:
B550 Drivers & Support | AMD

Once you do that then you need to use the AMD Ryzen Balanced Power Plan.
And change the Maximum Processor State to 20% like this:
View: https://imgur.com/EJFSWsL

After that let me know if the CPU frequency gets lowered like it should to somewhere around 2.2 Ghz at idle.

PS
Use HWInfo to read the CPU Core frequencies.
Download HWiNFO latest release
Make sure to check the sensors Only box when you start HWInfo.

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020
First do NOT use Core Temp, Only Ryzen Master and HWInfo accurately display Ryzen sensor info (Temps, voltage, etc.).

After that let me know if the CPU frequency gets lowered like it should to somewhere around 2.2 Ghz at idle.

PS
Alright so clocks seem to have evened out to around 2.6GHz but temps are still in the 50s according to coretemp. I can't find where to check them in hwinfo

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020

PS
Ive found temps in hwinfo and max is 55 and average is 45. I'm assuming that's ok?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Ive found temps in hwinfo and max is 55 and average is 45. I'm assuming that's ok?
That's a tad high but not too bad.
What are the temps when under load (like playing a game or running Cinebench R23 multicore test)?
Are you using the stock AMD cooler ?
What is the temperature in the room the PC is in ?
And how is your case airflow ?

My 3700x idles at 32-34C (my room temp is 22-23C) with a Scythe Ninja 5 cooler and excellent case airflow (Mesh front case with 3 front intake fans, 1 top and 1 rear exhaust fan).

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020
That's a tad high but not too bad.
What are the temps when under load (like playing a game or running Cinebench R23 multicore test)?
Are you using the stock AMD cooler ?
What is the temperature in the room the PC is in ?
And how is your case airflow ?

My 3700x idles at 32-34C (my room temp is 22-23C) with a Scythe Ninja 5 cooler and excellent case airflow (Mesh front case with 3 front intake fans, 1 top and 1 rear exhaust fan).
i am using the stock cooler but I'm planning to upgrade soon
I havent tried it under load yet but I will in a few
I have a glass front with mesh cutouts on both sides
Room temp is 22c
One thing though is I did take my cooler off and on a few times which might've messed up the thermal paste. Do you recommend I repaste it? I'm a tad nervous about repasting it because the first time I put too much and it almost got into the socket.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
i am using the stock cooler but I'm planning to upgrade soon
I havent tried it under load yet but I will in a few
I have a glass front with mesh cutouts on both sides
Room temp is 22c
One thing though is I did take my cooler off and on a few times which might've messed up the thermal paste. Do you recommend I repaste it? I'm a tad nervous about repasting it because the first time I put too much and it almost got into the socket.
As long as the CPU is fully covered by the paste I would leave it alone.
The stock coolers come with Pre-applied paste so when you removed the cooler you shouldn't have had to clean and re-apply the paste (since it is new).

What exact case do you have and how many fans are in it and where are they?
The glass front cases tend to have poor airflow.

As long as the maximum CPU temperature is under 80C under load it is fine.
But I would take the side panel off and see if that drops the idle and load temperatures.

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020
As long as the CPU is fully covered by the paste I would leave it alone.
The stock coolers come with Pre-applied paste so when you removed the cooler you shouldn't have had to clean and re-apply the paste (since it is new).

What exact case do you have and how many fans are in it and where are they?
The glass front cases tend to have poor airflow.

As long as the maximum CPU temperature is under 80C under load it is fine.
But I would take the side panel off and see if that drops the idle and load temperatures.
So I just did the test and max was 82.9 however I was looking at temps and they stayed in the low 70s for the entire test. They only spiked up to 82.9 for a second and then went back down to like 72-74. I'm very concerned about my temps because I want my CPU for as long as possible :/
I'm using the musetex phantom 903 case with 3 intake and 3 exhaust.
I did apply more thermal paste though because I thought it wasn't enough and I was wrong.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I suggest you play a few games or do some work that is typical for you and see what the CPU temps are.

I also encode videos fairly regularly and even then it tends to stay around 65-70C.

Solution

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020

I disabled Core Performance Boost as well as percision boost overdrive and now I'm getting averages in the low 40s and a max of 47 at idle. I'd say my problem is fixed. Thank you.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I disabled Core Performance Boost as well as percision boost overdrive and now I'm getting averages in the low 40s and a max of 47 at idle. I'd say my problem is fixed. Thank you.
Glad to help.

Just FYI,
If you do later want to Enable PBO for a little extra Performance, I suggest you get a decent CPU Cooler (6 pipe or more).
My stated temps are with my Scythe Ninja 5 cooler and PBO Enabled. ;)