CPU running at 97-102c while playing games

battlebabies

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
I have a i7-4770k and was recently playing Overwatch. I was having sound bad sound stuttering, making it completely unplayable. I decided to check CPUID HWMonitor while playing and my temperatures were spiking from 42c to 90, to upwards of 102c. I also am running with a 1080Ti GPU (this stayed in normal ranges). Also running 8gb of high quality ram.

I'm running with the stock heatsink/fan(unfotunately). It has never been like this before(for over a year now), and am wondering if something is wrong, other than me not having an aftermarket sink/fan/paste.

I have run the game by itself, with no other applications running other than the needed. Anything helps. Hoping my CPU isn't messed up.

Will be looking for new heatsinks/fans/paste if you guys think that it will cut down the temperature to normal levels.

edit: Also don't have bad airflow. I have a completely open case ontop of my desk.

Solution

Have you reapplied and reseated the CPU?

Have you OC'd and/ or adjusted your voltages?

I use the 212 Evo with an extra fan. The Cryorig H7 would also work well with your chip.

2018_PC.png

battlebabies

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018

I think what I'm questioning is whether having a new sync/fan/paste will result in my temp going from 97c + down to playable temps (70c'ish). I mean, could it really come down to just that? Or could something else be going wrong?

It may just need the compound cleaned off, reapplied and reseated. That worked for http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3084719/4690k-reasonable-temps.html

Solution

It may just need the compound cleaned off, reapplied and reseated. That worked for http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3084719/4690k-reasonable-temps.html
It's all good, I took out my exhaust fan for more air to go to the cooler and i replaced my thermal paste. MY TEMPS WENT 20 CELSIUS LOWER! I have overclocked my cpu to 4.6GHz at 1.25V and its max temp on intelburntest is 82 Celsius when it is on max stress. On standard i got 74 Celsius max. Surprising what a change of thermal paste can do!