[SOLVED] CPU running hot even when idle

FelipeMarchon

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016
So, i've build a new pc recently and i've noticed that my CPU keeps oscilating between 60°C and 75°C while idle or just browsing the web. While gaming, it keeps between 80°C and 90°C. I got a Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler and the Sharkoon TG6 case, with 4 fans (3 upfront and 1 at the back). I know it isn't safe to run the cpu at these temperatures, but i've already changed the thermal paste, i'm not sure why it's so hot. Also, i haven't done any overclocking whatsoever, unless some third party aplication, like the MSI Dragon Center (which I only use to control the MOBO RGB) has done it automatically, which i highly doubt.
Room temperature is about 30°C. I know, it's hot, but my old build never hitted those high temps before.
My pc:
B450 Tomahawk Max
Ryzen 5 3600
RM650x PSU
RTX 3070 Gaming OC Gigabyte
2x 8gb XPG Adata D41 3200Mhz

Idle: View: https://imgur.com/JQpS1y9

Under load: View: https://imgur.com/M4tST48

Solution
1)The Wraith Stealth included with the 3600 isn't quite as good as the Wraith Spire included with the 3600X.

2)Top-down air coolers like that need more exhausts in the chassis, due to how they function: Air is pushed into the heatsink and spreads outward in all possible x and y axis directions.

3)The nature of your graphics card: Heat is being dumped inside the chassis - likely more(270w max) than your last card - and the top-down air cooler is 'cooling itself' off of that card's exhaust.

4)Dragon Center has been known to automatically apply 'performance profiles' without the user knowing. You can just uninstall Dragon Center and install Mystic Light only if you just use LED control...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)The Wraith Stealth included with the 3600 isn't quite as good as the Wraith Spire included with the 3600X.

2)Top-down air coolers like that need more exhausts in the chassis, due to how they function: Air is pushed into the heatsink and spreads outward in all possible x and y axis directions.

3)The nature of your graphics card: Heat is being dumped inside the chassis - likely more(270w max) than your last card - and the top-down air cooler is 'cooling itself' off of that card's exhaust.

4)Dragon Center has been known to automatically apply 'performance profiles' without the user knowing. You can just uninstall Dragon Center and install Mystic Light only if you just use LED control:
https://www.msi.com/Landing/mystic-light-rgb-gaming-pc/download (3rd one from the top)

Solution

FelipeMarchon

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016

4)Dragon Center has been known to automatically apply 'performance profiles' without the user knowing. You can just uninstall Dragon Center and install Mystic Light only if you just use LED control:
https://www.msi.com/Landing/mystic-light-rgb-gaming-pc/download (3rd one from the top)
Ok, so I've uninstalled Dragon Center and just installed Mystic Light. So, should I get new exhaust fans to install at the top of the case? Or should be changing the current CPU cooler be my main priority?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
On one hand, the new exhaust fans would aid both the cpu and gpu cooling.
On the other, a new cpu cooler would help mostly the cpu - but to a larger degree than the above option would.

If the gpu's thermals are fine, then the 2nd option.

FelipeMarchon

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016
On one hand, the new exhaust fans would aid both the cpu and gpu cooling.
On the other, a new cpu cooler would help mostly the cpu - but to a larger degree than the above option would.

If the gpu's thermals are fine, then the 2nd option.
I have my eyes on the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition, is it worth the value? My GPU temp hits 75°C at it's peak while on load, so i think it's fine.